Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello:

I've never owned a Subaru and I don't know much about cars but there is a 1997 and a 1998 Subaru Outback within my price range ($5000.00 CAD) that I like.

Any suggestions about purchasing a used Subaru Outback?

Thank you.

You dont say how many miles are on the cars??

Watch out for bad head gaskets in the 2.5L and if its automatic torque bind. Head gaskets look for bubbles blowing in coolent overflow tank when warm and running, also look for oil in over flow tank. If its bad, it will smell like oil/exhaust in the over flow tank. If the head gaskets are bad figure 1200-1500USD to fix.

Check for torque bind by making several sharp turns (to lock) at slow speed in parking lot. The car will feel like rear tires want to turn the opposite direction. Another 1200-1400USD to fix if bad.

Good luck

Torque bind on an automatic isnt always a deal killer (thats how i got my OBW so cheap). If you suspect torque bind, dont mention it to the owner of the car at first. Just ask him how often hes had the fluids serviced. If he doesnt mention the tranny, check the tranny fluid. If the fluid is a little brown, most likely a fluid flush will take care of the torque bind (if it has any as described above). At that point you can mention the torque bind and beat him down. If the fluid is burnt and a dark brown walk away. Also walk away if the 4 tires dont match. This is especially true on a manual, as there is no fixes for torquebind on a manual that are cheap.

ON the manual try to the start the car from a dead stop in 4th or 5th gear. The car should stall if you can get it to move means the clutch is on its way out.

In your price range your loking at a high milage car most likely. Any car can have a blown headgasket over 120K miles . Check any car you buy, any make for a blown HG by removing the radiator cap while the car is cold. Remove the cap, start the car, and look for bubbles. Take a freind with you. His job will be to watch the car as you drive away to make sure the car tracks straight. Drive the car manually through all the gears (if it is an auto), It should upshift almost as cleanly manually as it does automatically. Bounce every corner of the car, it should bounce 1 1/2 times at each corner. The sterring wheel should be centered when going straight. Brake the car hard it should brake straight ahead. Subarus are cheap to fix and easy to work on for the most part.The most troublesome areas are the torquebind and the HG. Ask the owner when was the last time the timing belt was changed. Look under the hood to see how clean the engine compartment is, and look under neath the enigine. oil leaks draw and collect dirt.

Inspect the CV joint boots and make sure they arent ripped. The only thing i would say for you is if you syuspect a HG issue, thats a deal breaker (as you dont know enough about them to properly negotiate).. its a 1500 US Repair. Trannies can always be swapped. If you go with the 98 and all the tires match on the car, you can escape the torque bind issue.

Timing belt and everything else that should be done with it is about 600-700 US at a shop (but this is something done once every 100,000 miles or so). This is something that should not keep you from buying a car.

nipper

Any suggestions about purchasing a used Subaru Outback?

Thoroughly confused now, kimjack? Truth is, Subarus are generally very good vehicles--rugged, dependable, easy to fix, safe, comfortable, fun to drive. That's why there are so many of us here on the board who absolutely love them.

But there is what many perceive to be a design weakness in the engines used in a range of model years, unfortunately it includes the '97 and '98 Outbacks! It can result in the dreaded head gasket failure and a rather expensive repair bill. That doesn't mean every vehicle will have the problem--many don't, but you never know for sure.

If you really like one of the Outbacks I'd suggest you take it to an independent mechanic and pay $100 (or whatever) for him to give it a thorough inspection.

Whatever you do, feel free to come back here and ask questions. The folks on this board will bend over backwards to help you.

Good luck with your decision.

If you really like one of the Outbacks I'd suggest you take it to an independent mechanic and pay $100 (or whatever) for him to give it a thorough inspection.

Whatever you do, feel free to come back here and ask questions. The folks on this board will bend over backwards to help you.

Good luck with your decision.

I second all of that. Nipper pretty well covers it too.

Like Olnick on the tranny bind, I wouldn't consider a headgasket not being swapped out crucial. Even if the headgasket(s) is/are blown, I wouldn't let it go. I ended up picking my '97 OBW knowing that the previous engine had blown a set of headgaskets. End result, I cooked the next EJ25 the dealer put in within two months or so, and I had him replace it with a '95 EJ22. All under warranty. Original cause was a clogged radiator, which I replaced myself. Paid $4,000 US for the car, so I figure I made out.