Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 to D/R 4wd 5sp

RenaissanceMan

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mike This is Jerry, for the flywheel you use a flywheel and pressure plate from a 86 brat AE81. Then you need a clutch disc from a 86 dual range 5 speed tranny the one that has the round hub with 6 springs in it. Now that you have all the parts rounded up you need to space the starter out with a lock washer. That spaces the starter back about 0.090 that is the difference from the EA81 flywheel and the EA82 flywheel. Problem solved Thanks Jerry

subiemech85 but there is still the issue of top starter vs. side starter

solved using the fat-case...:)

i wanted to do this because my trans is going and i got an RX trans just sitting... but then i realized i would be buying a bunch of clutch parts and it really didn't seem worth it... however now that i know exactly what i need i just might try it out...

it'll be a dog with the 3.7 gears...:-p (leave it in low range... might help...)

bratsrus1: does it HAVE to be from an 86 brat? i have access to quite a few wagons... but no brats... :(

if you could get some parts #'s you'd make my day!:)

thanks!

Hey Mike This is Jerry, if you use the EA81 flywheel and the EA81 pressure plate it is a match set. The Ea82 disc from a 86 that has a round hub with 6 springs in it will fit with no mods to the flywheel. I know because i have that set up in my hatch back now and i have over 50,000 miles on the clutch and counting. The flywheel must be the 8 7/8 inch for the clutch disc to fit. Thanks Jerry