Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have started,.. a few problems

Today i got around to dropping the Vortex turbo motor in the wagon.

Now all that is left to be done is fix up the wiring.

The problems.

1. My air filter box/MAF wont line up with the intake hose going to the turbo, why?

2. I went to add the wire to the ecu plugs for the knock sensor, but there is already a wire in pin number 36.:eek: (im using a NA MPFI loom)

When i get a chance, i will get my multimeter and see if i can find where it goes to, maybe the knock sensor was part of the loom all along.

3. Because the waterpump shaft is a different length on the vortex motor, the pulleys wont line up, but it looks like if i use a couple of washers to space it out, the pulleys will match up, is this a bad idea?

That is all i can think of at the moment, i will get some pics of the waterpump and filter box asap.

Cheers guys

I have looked at a few pics of ea82t engine bays and the air filter hose has a bend in it, mine doesn't,.. guess i will have to look for one.

I looked at the wiring again, there is a white wire at the ecu connector at pin number 36, and at one of the round connectors in the engine bay, there is a white wire at pin 14, which is where the knock sensor wire is supposed to be. so i will confirm this when i find my multimeter.

So will a gear puller work for moving the flange out on the waterpump?

Qtn. 4. Is the wastegate duty solenoid really neccessary? Im under the impression that it is really only for boost compensation at high altitudes. Im sure i have seen threads about it only exists on some models and it can be removed with no hassle.

Cheers

Gannon

There is a universal water pump spacer thing on many GM pickups, I've also used the washer idea on a chevy engine and it worked fine, just so long as it isn't wobbly when the engine is running.

The wiring harness is probably the same for all MPFI engines and I bet the wire for the knock sensor is hidden in the plastic somewhere. GM did some silly things like that for automaic and manual cars.

Not sure why the turbo inducer pipe isn't lining up...

Today i got around to dropping the Vortex turbo motor in the wagon.

Now all that is left to be done is fix up the wiring.

The problems.

1. My air filter box/MAF wont line up with the intake hose going to the turbo, why?

2. I went to add the wire to the ecu plugs for the knock sensor, but there is already a wire in pin number 36.:eek: (im using a NA MPFI loom)

When i get a chance, i will get my multimeter and see if i can find where it goes to, maybe the knock sensor was part of the loom all along.

3. Because the waterpump shaft is a different length on the vortex motor, the pulleys wont line up, but it looks like if i use a couple of washers to space it out, the pulleys will match up, is this a bad idea?

That is all i can think of at the moment, i will get some pics of the waterpump and filter box asap.

Cheers guys

Ok,.. good news:banana:

For some reason, the MPFI loom already has the knock sensor wire in it, in the correct pin places too, so my wiring loom remains unchanged:clap:

Now what i do need to know is 'Do i need the wastegate control solenoid'?

Or can i just run the little hose from the compressor outlet to the wastegate?

Tried really hard yesterday to make the air box fit, NOPE! Gonna have to find another one.

Thanks for all the help!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Now what i do need to know is 'Do i need the wastegate control solenoid'?

Or can i just run the little hose from the compressor outlet to the wastegate?

Cheers

Did you get an answer to this question, I've got the same dilema currently.

:confused:

The WGDS is sorta an altitude compensator, it allows higher boost where there is lower outside air pressure

If you live close to the sea, i dont suppose it will matter that much, but your ecu will throw a code.

Im gonna work it out soon and i will report back with my findings

Gannon

The WGDS is sorta an altitude compensator, it allows higher boost where there is lower outside air pressure

If you live close to the sea, i dont suppose it will matter that much, but your ecu will throw a code.

Im gonna work it out soon and i will report back with my findings

Gannon

I cant find anything that connects to the wastegate anyway - gonna post seperately to ask.

Great if you update on your solution