Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear seat tab- Help me find it!

I can't find the tab that lifts the rear seat so that you can fold down the back rest to make a flat rear bed. It must have flipped foward the last time I used it.

Anyway, is there any other way to get that seat to fold up so that I can find it for the next time?

I know this is one of the dumber questions on the board but it is a pain.

On my 99 Legacy Outback, it's a thin black nylon strap that is just off center, I'm almost certain it's slightly to the driver side of center. You slide your hand down between the cushion and the backrest, and should be able to feel it. A pull on the strap will then release the cushion latch.

I can't find the tab that lifts the rear seat so that you can fold down the back rest to make a flat rear bed. It must have flipped foward the last time I used it.[...]

NOMAD327 is mostly correct, but the strap is about 3" to the passenger side of center (at least on the '99). On my OB it aligns with a seam in the seat fabric, or roughly with the edge of the driveshaft tunnel.

You can definitely retrieve it with your fingers. When my OB was delivered, even after reading the manual I couldn't figure out how to get the seatback down flat. The manual didn't make it clear that the lifting of the seat bottom was a standard feature, so at first I thought it was an option that I didn't have. However, after slipping my hand in the space between seat bottom and back cushion, I was able to find and snag the strap. Apparently the dealer had latched the seat with the strap inside during prep.

I appreciate your responses and know exactly what you are saying because I've used that strap a few times already. It was a few inches to the passenger side of mideline. But I can't find it now, so I assume that it must have folded under the seat the last time I closed it. I even used a flashlight between the cushion space and moved the seatbelts to both sides.

So if there's a trick I don't know or if there's an alternative way to open the latch so that I can find the damn strap, I'd like to know.

Thanks

Like the others said, no other way than to push your hand under there a little further and slide it sideways back and forth until you snag it. I've been there.

Or maybe ask someone with more sensitive hands ;)

So if there's a trick I don't know or if there's an alternative way to open the latch so that I can find the damn strap, I'd like to know.

Okay, I've done a bit more research for you :) . On the '99 OB, and hopefully on yours as well, the latch is about 4 inches to the passenger side of midline. I intentionally stuffed the strap of mine inside, and was able to find the latch by sliding my left hand from the passenger side towards that position; I did it that way since the plastic storage area for the seat belts makes it more difficult to get in from the other direction.

It's in fairly deep, I'd say about 5 inches or so; unless you have a large hand, much of it will be out of view. The spring on the mechanism isn't very strong, so as long as it isn't jammed, pulling upward with one finger is enough to release the latch.

I hope that helps.

WOW i found mine on the 87 OBW, and about 10.00 worth of change. i often wondered what the seat belt holder was for in the middle of the seat. i had to really fish for mine. WHat you do is partially fold down the right seat back. This gives you an extra inc or so. now you will feel a mechanisim on the right side of the driveshaft hump. Deep in there is the strap. you have to really reach to find it but its there just to the right fo that mechanisim.

nipper

Not the most interesting problem on the board but there is an end to it.

So I follow all the suggestions that you guys gave me. I scraped my knuckles, cursed, got my wife involved with smaller hands, used flashlights, cursed some more...........

Finally yesterday I went to the Subaru dealership. The first mechanic tried for a few minutes. No luck. Now at least I didn't feel like such an idiot.

He called in the the second, head, "go to" mechanic. He tried for a few minutes. No luck. He came back with a pair of needle nose pliers. No Luck. Finally, he locates the latch itself and pops it open. The nylon tab was wrapped around and behind the latch so there was no way to find it.

I almost kissed the guy. Insted I gave hime $20.

Yeah, they're a real pain. The fold-down rear seats in my '95 Sedan are a bear to get down if the tab spins around to where you can't pull it. Then I have to crawl in the trunk and basically pry the latch open with a screwdriver and pliers. The tabs in my brother's '99 sedan are fixed, and can't spin and disappear. It's amazing how seemingly simple little things like this get overlooked by engineers when they design these cars!

Brian M.