Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifted outback pics

Fatz

does anyone have some??Ive never seen them lifted b4. and i rlly would like to..Comeon someone has to have ONE lifted.Show us ya pics...

check the offroad forum or do a search, I seem to remember a thread with the subject "lifted outback" or somesuch nonsense that is directly related to your post

does anyone have some??Ive never seen them lifted b4. and i rlly would like to..Comeon someone has to have ONE lifted.Show us ya pics...
Unlikely to see many US new gen Subarus lifted, as they don't have a low range or locking differentials. Other than a few rally cars or wannabes. The Impreze chassis has had all the rally development so seeing a lifted Legacy is unusual. The 2005/2006 Outbacks are raised an inch and a lot of people are putting in aftermarket springs to bring them back down to 7.3" clearance, which was sufficient for a full load on rutted dirt roads.

• 2 years later...
Unlikely to see many US new gen Subarus lifted, as they don't have a low range or locking differentials. Other than a few rally cars or wannabes. The Impreze chassis has had all the rally development so seeing a lifted Legacy is unusual.

Even without low or lockers, a Subaru is still a Subaru. The AWD works great offroading as long as you keep 3 wheels on the ground. (no crazy rock crawling)

Oh yeah, as far as the "Impreza getting all the rally developement". Uhm.... Yeah. Impreza and Legacy share the same chassis so that excuse is BS.

The 2005/2006 Outbacks are raised an inch and a lot of people are putting in aftermarket springs to bring them back down to 7.3" clearance, which was sufficient for a full load on rutted dirt roads.

7.3 inches is not crap for the ruts and roads I run sometimes.

Besides, it's the unibody that needs to go up to increase the ability to go over sharp humps and avoid highcentering.

I like 10 inches or more at the diffs. And 14 inches of clearance in the middle of the rocker.

FWIW, the front approach angle is the real downfall of Legacy and Imprezas for Offroaqding. Terrible front approach angle. Too long and low up front, espescially the 2000-2004. Altering the front bumper (and getting a lift) helps alot, but still better plan on scraping going into those waterbreaks.

• 4 weeks later...
Even without low or lockers, a Subaru is still a Subaru. The AWD works great offroading as long as you keep 3 wheels on the ground. (no crazy rock crawling)

[Oh yeah, as far as the "Impreza getting all the rally developement". Uhm.... Yeah. Impreza and Legacy share the same chassis so that excuse is BS.]

Sorry to correct here, but Imprezas and Foresters share the same chassis, not IMPS and LEGs... I have one of each and have differeing opinions of each car's off roadability as fairly stock... Both are strut-lifted, but for gearing, i prefer the auto 93 IMP over the standard 95 legacy..

[7.3 inches is not crap for the ruts and roads I run sometimes.]

true true, anything is better than the stock 6.5 on IMPS and non OB Legacies!!

[besides, it's the unibody that needs to go up to increase the ability to go over sharp humps and avoid highcentering.]

Agreed for sure!! I like the block lift on your 1st gen LEG, nothing like lifting EVERYTHING higher off the ground, but OB or FOR (whichever the application) strut lifts give the initial suspension lift, then with blocks, the body lift gives WAY more tire clearance and thus taller tires ultimately give MORE ground clearance...

[i like 10 inches or more at the diffs. And 14 inches of clearance in the middle of the rocker.]

nice, with an OB strut lift and 28" BFGs, I can clear a cinderblock on its side (obviously not standing on end, but there are subys that can!)

FWIW, the front approach angle is the real downfall of Legacy and Imprezas for Offroaqding. Terrible front approach angle. Too long and low up front, espescially the 2000-2004. Altering the front bumper (and getting a lift) helps alot, but still better plan on scraping going into those waterbreaks.

Yup, aftermarket bumpers are key to changing approach angles, but I have yet to see an acceptable rear bumper mod for departure angle in new gen subies!

Anyone out there with a modified rear bumper or bobbed new gen for a rear departure angle??

(pix: OB lifted 95 leg on BFGs, and my finally completed modified-mudrat bumper and post-mudrat custom skidplate, NOW i need better gearing:grin: )

post-9686-136027628703_thumb.jpg

post-9686-136027628709_thumb.jpg

[Oh yeah, as far as the "Impreza getting all the rally developement". Uhm.... Yeah. Impreza and Legacy share the same chassis so that excuse is BS.]

Sorry to correct here, but Imprezas and Foresters share the same chassis, not IMPS and LEGs... I have one of each and have differeing opinions of each car's off roadability as fairly stock... Both are strut-lifted, but for gearing, i prefer the auto 93 IMP over the standard 95 legacy..

Sorry to correct you, but.........

Imps and Forresters both share the same chassis components as the 90-99 Legacies. I was just under a 2004 Forrester yesterday and all the suspension mountings, trans mountings, crossmembers, and strut mounts are identical to the 90 Legacy I just lifted. The newer unibody is more reinforced, but all the mounting points are the same.

Lengths are different, and there are some minor variations, but components from any one can be swapped to the other.

All the subframe mounting points are shared common between Legacies, Forrester, and Imprezas. Only difference is overall length and weight.

Sorry to correct you, but.........

Imps and Forresters both share the same chassis components as the 90-99 Legacies. I was just under a 2004 Forrester yesterday and all the suspension mountings, trans mountings, crossmembers, and strut mounts are identical to the 90 Legacy I just lifted. The newer unibody is more reinforced, but all the mounting points are the same.

Lengths are different, and there are some minor variations, but components from any one can be swapped to the other.

All the subframe mounting points are shared common between Legacies, Forrester, and Imprezas. Only difference is overall length and weight.

Cool!! That's more further info that I had and equates to correction taken :clap:

It pays to spend some real time under the car, and you just taught me a bunch right there... Suby was smart in using the same components across 3 model lines! Go roo!!

I was under the impression that it was lenghts and geometry that determines platform? I was indicating FOR and IMP have the same lengths and widths, essentially the same component locations (e.g. struts) thus the same platform, when compared to LEG, OB and Baja (when Bajas were manufactured) which have the same lengths and geometries in that model class.

So, it sounds like many subframe components are interchangable, however, distances b/t them differs across models...

This is what I was getting at for sharing platforms, those different distances dictated similar platforms (i.e. IMP-FOR and LEG-OB)...

So in strut-lifting different models, I thought it was only FOR-IMP ind OB-LEG, but have heard of OB-IMP and FOR-LEG.... My experience is that top mounts for rear struts in IMPS is lower than in FOR (and I assume OB), so when doing the swap a shorter spring is helpful to avoid a raked rear end in the lifted IMP...

Sorry, i'll stop there... This is good stuff, but I don't want to hijack this thread... There are probably many other threads this info could help substantiate...

Gloyale, I PMed you yesterday , with a bunch of questions and seeking tranny info, etc. based on your lifted 1st gen LEG post..