Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All -

I have a 90 legacy 4wd 4eat. I noticed a whine coming from under the hood recently that sounded like the power steering pump. I had quietened it down about 6 months ago with some additional fluid, so knew what the problem was. I got a used pump from a junkyard and replaced the old one this weekend. Well, guess what? I still have the whine and now the power steering shudders when turning left. I went thru the bleeding procedures when replacing the pump. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this shudder on left turns? (I know its not the tranny as I tested the car in both 4wd and fwd modes).

Thanks for the replies. I know someone here will know the answer!

Rich

That is a possibility, but I guess I am wondering if its the pump or not. Has anyone had this kind of problem from a power steering pump before? Also, has anyone had an alternator make a whining sound when its starting to go bad? This sound just started last Monday. I am thinking that its not the PS pump anymore. I finally had some one to help me by revving the motor while I listened. The sound seems to come from around the alternator area straight down to wards the main crank pully.

I guess I am just looking for way to eliminate things now or to decide it it could be the alternator. I am seriously hoping its nothing internal to the engine. The whine varies with the engine RPM's. I am really hoping to keep the vehicle running for a lot longer. ITs only got aroun 175K miles.

Thanks

Rich

The sound seems to come from around the alternator area straight down to wards the main crank pully.

A bad PS pump can cause shudder in the steering. Mine went bad awhile back and a new pump cured it.

I'm wondering if the whine might be caused by worn or mis-adjusted

v-belts? Have you checked them or changed them lately?

The belts are only a year or so old and are in good shape.

I guess the junkyard pump will ahve to go back. Aren't there rebuild kits for pumps for around $15? IF so, where can I get one?

I think the belts are ok. Could overtightening of the belts cause shudder or definitely whining?

Thanks,

Rich

Get an auto stethescope and listen to the pulleys you should be able to tell which one is doing it. You can also do this with a rubber hose.

The belts are only a year or so old and are in good shape.

I guess the junkyard pump will ahve to go back. Aren't there rebuild kits for pumps for around $15? IF so, where can I get one?

I think the belts are ok. Could overtightening of the belts cause shudder or definitely whining?

Thanks,

Rich

1) Am not sure about rebuild kits for PS pump but keep searching--new ones have gotten danged expensive. Or maybe try a different junkyard one?

2) I don't think the belts would cause shudder--think that's more a function of the pump itself, maybe bad bearings inside.

3) What does the "whine" sound like? Mis-adjusted belts usually make a loud squeal or screech sound. If it's not that, you might try tcspeer's suggestion and see if you can pinpoint the noise (just be super careful reaching down into a running engine!)

Good luck.

I think it may be the alternator whining. I never heard or thought an alternator would whine, just figured they either worked or didnt. I am returning the pump to the junkyard, and getting an alternator (once I verify that it is indeed the whining noise). I think I will take the belt off the PS pump and start the motor to see if the whine is still there. IF it is, I know its not the pump, but the alternator.

Anyone know how long an alternator will last with a bearing starting to go bad? Some act like they will last a long time. I am not usually one to chance things.

Thanks all.

Rich