Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 leg front inner cv boot, use split boot?

I have a front passenger side inner cv boot just split open on 96 leg outback. No sign of bad CV joint. I am thinking of just using a split boot kit to replace without removing the half-shaft as a temporary fix.

I know this is not ideal from what I have found searching posts, but if it is significantly easier and quicker than removing the axle I would do it just to buy some time and do the full replacement when the joint actually starts to fail, maybe replace both half-shafts later.

My question to anyone who has used split boots: Is it significantly easier and less time consuming to remove the old boot and use a split boot as a temporary fix or would I just be wasting time and energy better spent replacing the whole axle?

If split boot is worth a try are they available for the Inner boot? All I have found so far state for outer except one that says for 96 leg and does not specify inner or outer?

Thanks

PT

I have a front passenger side inner cv boot just split open on 96 leg outback. No sign of bad CV joint. I am thinking of just using a split boot kit to replace without removing the half-shaft as a temporary fix.

I know this is not ideal from what I have found searching posts, but if it is significantly easier and quicker than removing the axle I would do it just to buy some time and do the full replacement when the joint actually starts to fail, maybe replace both half-shafts later.

My question to anyone who has used split boots: Is it significantly easier and less time consuming to remove the old boot and use a split boot as a temporary fix or would I just be wasting time and energy better spent replacing the whole axle?

If split boot is worth a try are they available for the Inner boot? All I have found so far state for outer except one that says for 96 leg and does not specify inner or outer?

Thanks

PT

Unles they've changed the design radically since the one I tried many years ago - waste of money. Also, unless you KNOW the spilt is new, no way to tell if the joint is now filled with dusty, gritty grease. better to save the cost of the split boot, save some more money, and drive until the joint starts clicking a lot. It takes a long time for full failure. Then, replace with a rebuitl axle.

my $0.02

Carl

Your going to have to replace the axle anyway. Changing the boot sucks man. You have to repack the grease and it's extremely messy and fairly time consuming. It only takes about a half hour to an hour to replace the axle.

I'd replace the shaft.