Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do I need to get functional cruise control on a '92 Legacy?

79er

Found a used '92 Legacy wagon in reasonable condition that has most of the options I was wanting except no cruise control. What junkyard parts would go into adding this feature? Would parts from any Legacy fron 89-94 (or even later?) work? The components that I have been able to identify that would be required include steering wheel with the cruise button, dash button, the crusine control electronics box...anything else? Are the necessary harness wires in place or would additional wires need to be pulled into the steering column and under the dash?

Woody

everything you mentioned is needed (not the actual steering wheel though...all you need is the switch that is in there) but you also need the actuator under the hood (it is the 2nd throttle cable on the throttle body) and the thing that pulls on it. Also, make sure you get the cruise computer from a car that has the same tranny. (stick shift computers do not work in automatics and vice versa). All the wireing is there and realistically this is about a 30 min job if you have all the tools and parts ready to rock. Super easy and a great mod. :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

Between e-bay and a local pick'n pull I think I've got all the pieces but I'm baffled by where the electronic control box goes--I pulled up the carpet on two '90 Legacy wagons at the junk yard on the drivers side thinking that might be where the box rests--no luck. Couldn't see where it might be under the dash either. Someone give me a clue--I don't know where I should be looking... Thanks.

Woody

The cruise computer is on the passenger side of the car, to the right of the glove box. It's a pain to get to.

here's pics of what it looks like

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/images/swap/18/default.htm

This gives a better view

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/files/swap/elect_unit_loc/6-3_electrical_unit_location05.jpg

These electrical info scans may help as well.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/swap/electrical.html#cruise

we just did this with my dad's '92 legacy. It's SUPER easy. all the wiring is already there

don't forget the brake pedal switch. we forgot that, and it won't work without it.

I was wondering about that--I thought perhaps the switches were already in place for clutch and brake with the second set of contacts on each just going unused. So I'll look for a brake switch; what about the clutch--will this need to be replaced with a twin contact version as well?

Woody

I was wondering about that--I thought perhaps the switches were already in place for clutch and brake with the second set of contacts on each just going unused. So I'll look for a brake switch; what about the clutch--will this need to be replaced with a twin contact version as well?

Woody

oh yea, probably, the one we did was an auto, so it wasn't an issue