Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 legacy tranny codes questions......

So i have this 99 legacy 2.2 30th anniv. edition automatic with 59k on it. Over the weekend I was crusing along (not with the cruise on though) at about 80 on the turnpike and the "a/t temp light" started flashing. I stopped and shut the car down for a few (at the exact time I noticed the light the cell phone started ringing) so I took the call and then I went to restart it and the light was out. I continued on my trip for about 30 miles to a rest area and stopped. I checked the tranny fluid and it was reddish but definatly not the cleanist I have ever seen and it didn't smell burned either. The level was fine. I continued on with my trip and got it back home (about 200 miles since the light first came on) and it never reappeared.

Today the wife is driving it to work (3 miles and 6 redlights) and she says it came on twice. Once when she was crusing and the second time was when she pulled away from a redlight. She said there was no binding (she knows what that feels like) and that it seemed hesitant but I'm not sure if it was the tranny that is hesitant or the fact that it should get some new plugs here for 60k.

So I guess my questions are:

1. got any good guesses?

2. If I pull the tranny code/s where can I find out what they are (haynes=worthless)

3. Flush it and keep driving to see what happens.

4. set it on fire and let the ins company buy me a new one lol.gif

Thanks for any and all input