Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is This Normal?

subject matter: ea82-t.....What is normal for a turbo engine?

When i power off in my subi,i can push the throttle all the way to the floor in first..all good to 6600rpm...get to around 5000rpm or so in second also with the throttle fully depressed,and the engine cuts out then the power comes back on,and continues to do this as long as the pedal is floored...

on the otherhand..i can drive at one third - one half throttle and every gear is clear and crisp to around 6600rpm....(although i have never been to 6600rpm in 4th and 5th ) with no problems at all.

could this be a boost or fuel preasure drop?

Does this seem to be the norm for these engines ..or does mine have some issue? :-\

cheers

Sounds like boost related fuel cut.

What psi is boost hitting when everything cuts out>?

the usual 7.5psi.. fuel rail preasure is 30 psi with vacuum connected...and 45psi with out.. i have nt done any fuel pressure tests whilst this happens though....:-\

Without looking at it, it sounds like you have a sticky solonoid that is keeping all of your electronics/fuel flowing. Or mabe your ignition wiring has gone belly up. That does sound weird. I would mabe say swap around you solonoids for fuel and ignition and see if that changes anything. I wish i could actually see what is happening. Good luck. Let us know when you fix it what it was. Cheers!

sure will..i think calebz might be onto somthin though...when im light on the throttle..say a third to a half...its only on 5 psi boost..and all is fine...mind you there is no shortage on power..its just when you ask for it all at full throttle is when it shows up..and only in second gear onwards..

it doesnt have the usual wgsc ( waste gate solinoid ) at the turbo. just a small hose form the turbo to the waste gate diaphram...and 2 vacuum ralated solinoids on the drivers strut tower...right hand drive...i think one is for the boost light and the other???? i dont know...