Ultimate Subaru Message Board

transmission egagement delay (again)

Hi Guys and gals, I've been through al the old posts on the problem of a delay when shifting into drive(99 outback, 85000 miles) but it seemed that there was no real resolution as to what causes it or how to correct it short of a tranny rebuild/replacement. My fluid was flushed and the external filter replaced just a few months ago for routine maint. so I'm not sure what route to take next. As for a timeline, the 1-3 second type delay in engaging has happened for about a month but today it got to the point of 10-15 seconds or until I went through the gear positions again to engage. I'm not sure if my reshifting had anything to do with it or not. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. thanks, Bob

Its one of several things, only one you have control over. Do a tranny service (thats the one) as there may be gum in the tranny. Otherwise its the front pump or the rubber parts in the valve body/tranny are going bad.

nipper

• 11 months later...
Hi Guys and gals, I've been through al the old posts on the problem of a delay when shifting into drive(99 outback, 85000 miles) but it seemed that there was no real resolution as to what causes it or how to correct it short of a tranny rebuild/replacement. My fluid was flushed and the external filter replaced just a few months ago for routine maint. so I'm not sure what route to take next. As for a timeline, the 1-3 second type delay in engaging has happened for about a month but today it got to the point of 10-15 seconds or until I went through the gear positions again to engage. I'm not sure if my reshifting had anything to do with it or not. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. thanks, Bob

I have the same problem , however it is improving. I changed 3 times the fluid (every time 5 liters) and made a trip of about 1000 miles at hot ambient.

The delay is at cold (after a night sleep) nearly zero , at working temperature nearly zero as well;

Only in between the 2 situations it is (sometimes) 2 to 3 seconds.

Nipper told me that the seals are gone , but I hope that it will stay like it is.......Some people advice `Lucas ATF fix` , from their own experience , in the same situation , as a last ressort I would do it as well (if I could find it im Brazil....

(Impreza 1800 , 1993 , AWD , 4EAT)

I have the same problem , however it is improving. I changed 3 times the fluid (every time 5 liters) and made a trip of about 1000 miles at hot ambient.

when you changed the fluid how can it hold three times the fliud? and whaqt is "hot ambient"? my 00 obw is doing them samething.

when you changed the fluid how can it hold three times the fliud? and whaqt is "hot ambient"? my 00 obw is doing them samething.

"Hot ambient" , above 35 degrees celcius , in Brazil not very hot. I think it helped to circulate and clean. It is only a partly change , so after 3 times a change of 5 liters , more or less 90% ot the total 8 liters are changed.

Hope it stays like this , but I have seen in posts that people also had quite an improvement after cleaning the internal fillter , that is still to do for me