Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy AWD Non-Turbo *almost* Overheating

I just bought a used Legacy L AWD. It has a brand new thermostat, water pump, alternator, battery, timing belt, and other belts.

I've had the car for about 18 days. For the last three or four days, I've noticed the temp gauge run up to just below the dotted warning area. It has never gone into it, but often stays just below it.

Is it normal for a 93 Legacy to run this hot, or is there something I should be looking at?

Thanks for any help - I'd rather not destroy this car so soon after I get it.

- steve

EDIT: I have been searching a ton already, but I can't seem to find someone with this same problem...not sure if these things just run a bit hot, or if something is really wrong.

a car this old you can have a clogged radiator, i dont think you have a HG problem. It sounds like the previous owner was trying to find this problem himself, and totally overlooked a clogged (or as i have found, all the cooling fins gone) radiator.

nipper

Well, I also found another thread that said something about *never* using aftermarket/non-oem thermostats. The thermostat is not an OEM one, so I'm thinking maybe I should replace that?

a car this old you can have a clogged radiator, i dont think you have a HG problem. It sounds like the previous owner was trying to find this problem himself, and totally overlooked a clogged (or as i have found, all the cooling fins gone) radiator.

nipper

if you have no bubbles in the radiator (hg) and have reallyu good heat when the car gets hot, the next step would be to make sure there is no air in trapped in the cooling system. If there is no air in the cooling system, and no bubblkes, then i would look at the radiator. Will the car overheat while idleing

nipper

Nope. I'll let the car just sit there and idle, with the temperature right below warning, and it'll never go higher.

if you have no bubbles in the radiator (hg) and have reallyu good heat when the car gets hot, the next step would be to make sure there is no air in trapped in the cooling system. If there is no air in the cooling system, and no bubblkes, then i would look at the radiator. Will the car overheat while idleing

nipper

ok so we have a new water pump, new thermostae, correct 50/50 antifreeze mix, no air in the cooling system, no bubbles in the coolant, cooling fans all work, and a new radiator cap? and you also have plenty of heat when the car is running hot?

nipper

That is all correct, except the bubbles in the coolant part - I don't know about that. Is there an easy way to tell if there are bubbles or not?

ok so we have a new water pump, new thermostae, correct 50/50 antifreeze mix, no air in the cooling system, no bubbles in the coolant, cooling fans all work, and a new radiator cap? and you also have plenty of heat when the car is running hot?

nipper

Yup, with the car cold, remove the radiator cap, let it wamr up (it will overflow when the thermostate opens) and look for bubbles in the coolant. If there are no bubles, and you swear the system is free of air, my next stop would be radiator.com If the fans are working, all the blades are there, and they are spinning fast, and the ac is off....

nipper

Nipper, that's not a sure-fire way. If you remove the rad cap, bubbles will come out no matter what. The lack of pressure in the cooling system will allow local boiling and send gas pockets out the rad cap hole.

As the car idles coolant will slowly overflow the open hole and when the fans come on and the thermostat opens the coolant level will drop back. Simply because the fans cool the fluid and it contracts a tiny bit.

I do however agree fully with your first suggestion :D :

Radiator is not functioning properly anymore. Clogged or missing fins, it needs replacement.

(Genuine thermstat is also a good idea).

Internally clogged. Many years of gunk and electrochemical corrosion inside a radiator will cause the tiny water passages to clog. The walls are really thin so i would not recomend having the radiator boiled out when a new one can be had for around 100.00 from radiator.com (i by all my radiators through them and they are good people).

nipper

Sorry...so many questions, since I don't know cars that well. I have a friend that does, but he's not available until later to take a look.

If I drive it on a bad radiator, am I basically going to destroy the whole car, or what? Also, are radiators difficult to replace (particular if I have a friend that's good with cars)??

Thanks again for all the info - it's been very helpful.

overheating the engine is very bad regardless of the cause, so yes driving it if it's running hot is a bad idea.

radiators are super easy to install. can't get much easier. once the fans are off (easy), there's like two bolts holding it in place. it has "legs" that seat in the radiator support on the bottom and two bolts up top. sometimes have to retract one bolt facing "UP" on the top radiator cross member just to keep it from catching as you remove it. so...remove hoses, fans and two bolts and you're done.

make sure it's a clogged radiator. let the car warm up and drive for a bit. once it is warm you should be able to feel both hoses getting really hot. if the radiator is clogged it's likely the drives side will be hot and the passengers side will be cool. if both sides are hot then the radiator is likely good. feel the radiator itself too. hate to see you dump money/time in a radiator and that not fix the problem.

Very helpful and sensible - thank you!!! I'll give that a go.

I'm replacing the thermostat regardless...the idiots used a $5.99 thermostat...cheapest thing they could find.

overheating the engine is very bad regardless of the cause, so yes driving it if it's running hot is a bad idea.

radiators are super easy to install. can't get much easier. once the fans are off (easy), there's like two bolts holding it in place. it has "legs" that seat in the radiator support on the bottom and two bolts up top. sometimes have to retract one bolt facing "UP" on the top radiator cross member just to keep it from catching as you remove it. so...remove hoses, fans and two bolts and you're done.

make sure it's a clogged radiator. let the car warm up and drive for a bit. once it is warm you should be able to feel both hoses getting really hot. if the radiator is clogged it's likely the drives side will be hot and the passengers side will be cool. if both sides are hot then the radiator is likely good. feel the radiator itself too. hate to see you dump money/time in a radiator and that not fix the problem.

i agree with everybody saying you should replace your radiator...

but juuuuust to make sure get the car nice and warm and feel (carefully now) the fins on the radiator... check and see if the heat is consistant the whole way through the radiator... start from one end and work your way across...

if it isn't consistant heat then your radiator is deffinatly clogged and you can put your mind at ease in knowing that that's the problem...

this isn't fool proof but its pretty darn good... replacing your radiator is a very good idea no matter what though...

you might want to unplug the fans to make sure you don't get whacked by the blades when you're feeling around in there... and carefull not to burn yourself...

Good luck!:)

Just thought I'd give everybody an update.

Went to my friend's today, drained the coolant, installed an OEM thermostat, and BAM! Fixed.

We tested the radiator out beforehand, just by running a hose through it, and all was well. The thermostat (brand new, and installed by the dealer) was locked shut. That's what happens when they use cheap parts...glad I did it myself this time.

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions!

Yeah, me too. I'm hoping this is the last of the BS I have to deal with on this car. These 93's are supposed to be pretty reliable, from what I've seen...but so far, in three weeks time, here's a list of what I've replaced:

Timing Belt.

All other serpentine belts.

Water Pump

Brakes

Thermostat (twice)

Battery

Alternator

I've got to believe that it's going to run well for a while now, right??? heh.

In all seriousness, I like this car alot...hopefully it treats me as well as I've treated it.

we so like happy endings

nipper