Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90' justy with MPFI, looking to turbocharge.

i've got a 90' Justy with MPFI/4wd. I've seen a few people put turbochargers on there EJ12 3 cylinder engines. I think a garret t2 or something like that. I might have to make my own header, but if someone knows where I could get a prefab in the states I would appreciate it. also I would appreciate any sudgestions or ideas. thanks

Some other things to think about when turboing your justy.

-May want to replace the oil pump or rebuild it,since those are one of the weak links on that motor.

-Might want to add in an oil cooler of some kind since there isn't that much oil to begin with on that engine.

Those are just a couple I could think of to begin with.

Also are you putting a FMIC or TMIC on that car?

Great ideas. I like the TMIC with WRX scoop. I might do that. I just ordered the turbo today. right now my concern is locating where to access oil and coolant sources. Any sudgestions on where to tap into the existing lines? i'll probably use an oil cooler. i've seen them before and it sounds good. I'm looking for just a basic boost maybe 120HP, so nothing to major in terms of modifications. Also, this is my first experience with installing a turbo so any sudgestions on what to do or not do.

120 hp sounds pretty fun but doesnt the justy only have like 60 hp stock? in order to get that much power you would then need to run 15 psi, which would require you to modify quite alot, but it would be fun..... you might want to get a different fuel pump just for kicks and giggles.....is there an oil pressure sending unit on those motors? if so, i would try to get some oil from there by taking out the sending unit, and then putting in a t junction or something like that...

I am not so sure the motors are the same. I have heard that before but i have also heard they are different. the later JDM only justys were rebadged Suzuki Swifts, but i think the eariler ones were different animals. I think people assume the eariler ones are the same beacust the later ones are and they were basicly the only 3cyl cars improted to the US.

well, I got the turbocharger yesterday. It's a little bigger than anticipated but still usable I think. I'm definetly going to need to weld something for a manifold. can regular exhaust manifold metal be welded? maybe I could get another manifold and modify it. If this doesn't work I can use it to replace the turbo on my T-bird turbocoupe, so no loss.

I've been doing a little research about NA to turbo conversion. lower compression seems to be better. Does anyone know if my engine can handle a few PSI of boost without any piston changes? I'm planning on doing around 7 psi max. it won't give me 120 HP but I'm not looking for anything major.

I've been doing a little research about NA to turbo conversion. lower compression seems to be better. Does anyone know if my engine can handle a few PSI of boost without any piston changes? I'm planning on doing around 7 psi max. it won't give me 120 HP but I'm not looking for anything major.

That is alot of boost for a little engine. The engine would need a rebuild to start off with, an oil cooler. i would get a adjustable waste gate and play with the boost.

Try and research the geo metro turbo and see what they did to that to beef it up.

nipper