Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Wiring Hanrness Question

jaacina

I see that now that the ECUs are different. Can I use an '88 wiring harness and ECU on to an 9/86 motor? Are those connection different?

from a search i just did (on a thread that i started!!!)

subyrally said:

"86 wont fit the harness from an 87 or newer car."

Connectors will be different, engine harness's will be different, ecu's will be different, carside harness's will be different.

86 is different from 87, is different from 88+

Recently, I needed to find an engine harness's for my 87.5 RX. I thought any harness 87+ would work. Turns out, I was wrong. In most RX's (87.5) the engine harness to main body connectors had one square, and one round. On my roomates 88 turbo wagon, he had 2 rounds. I got a manifold off of a turbo wagon, I believe an 87, and it had 2 rounds aswell.

I finally was able to find a harness off of another RX, and its just perfect.

so if you get the engine harness and ECU you should be golden. i have the engine side harness and ECU as well....it'd all be the same car and would have to work...heck i'll send the entire intake manifold with the wiring on it which will bolt to your EA82T.

Well that would probably solve all issues. Cool.

so if you get the engine harness and ECU you should be golden. i have the engine side harness and ECU as well....it'd all be the same car and would have to work...heck i'll send the entire intake manifold with the wiring on it which will bolt to your EA82T.

I see that now that the ECUs are different. Can I use an '88 wiring harness and ECU on to an 9/86 motor? Are those connection different?

Wait a minute.

This is a 9/86 motor?

Isn't that late enough to be considered an 87 model year?

In my experience, though the plugs between 87 and 88 are different, the bulk of the wiring is the same. Depends all on how enterprising or desperate you are.

which plugs? The ECU end or the engine end?

Wait a minute.

This is a 9/86 motor?

Isn't that late enough to be considered an 87 model year?

In my experience, though the plugs between 87 and 88 are different, the bulk of the wiring is the same. Depends all on how enterprising or desperate you are.