Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Air Filter for a 91 Legacy GT (advice needed please)

Hey

I'm after a new Air Filter for my 91 Legacy GT 4WD Tubro Wagon. I specifically want a K&N filter, as I've heard they're really good.

The closet match I could find is this one:

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-19453.cfm

Would this fit my model wagon? If not, can someone link a K&N Air filter that would fit my car?

Also as a side note, what does the GT part mean? - I'm a bit of a car newbie.

Thanks

Faith

Hey

I'm after a new Air Filter for my 91 Legacy GT 4WD Tubro Wagon. I specifically want a K&N filter, as I've heard they're really good.

The closet match I could find is this one:

http://www.eautoworks.com/html/ORD-1-1-1-19453.cfm

Would this fit my model wagon? If not, can someone link a K&N Air filter that would fit my car?

Also as a side note, what does the GT part mean? - I'm a bit of a car newbie.

Thanks

Faith

first off, the filter looks like it'll work.

secondly...

GT stands for:

Geek Tang

Great Toes

Good Times

Gecko Trails

Gooey Tummy

Game Time

Google Tom

Gran Tourismo

But seriously though...If the car manufacturers want it to mean anything it's normally Grand Touring.

Hi Faith,

All foolishness aside as I feel you came here for answers not jokes.

There are pro's and con's to using a K&N.

Here is one opinion from a BMW site

Rob Levinson from UUC Motorwerks says that "it is really doing every E34 owner a disservice for three reasons:

• First, conclusive tests from independent labs show that K&N filters, no matter how well-oiled and cleaned, let through huge amounts of large particulate that damages engines. Oil analysis shows 5x as much silicate contamination. Additionally, the oil from these filters tends to muck up the MAF and cause an engine-damaging lean-run condition.

Another option you might consider is removing the intake silencer

This unit is mounted in

the pass. side inner fender,

this is commonly done to increase intake air by

removing restriction (same thing the K&N touts to do)

I have a question for you.

you state

"91 Legacy GT 4WD Tubro Wagon"

I was not aware that Subaru ever made a GT turbo wagon

I have two Legacy turbo wagons and a Legacy GT wagon.

These are all fairly rare cars

your's must be very rare?

Could you grace us with a picture?

I was not aware that Subaru ever made a GT turbo wagon

I have two Legacy turbo wagons and a Legacy GT wagon.

These are all fairly rare cars

your's must be very rare?

Could you grace us with a picture?

Could be an import? In other parts of the world the GT badged sedans and wagons both were the twin turbo ej20s.

Interesting quote from the BMW site, Skip, I have been considering a K&N filter for my sub. I have heard of problems with MAF fouling, especially the hot film type (as I believe mine has), whereas the hot wire type seems to 'burn off' any contamination and be less affected ??? I've also read this fouling may be due to excess oil being left on the filter.

FWIW Faith, I was quoted part no KN 33-2232 as a replacement element for my '99 twin turbo ej20, but I'm guessing the air box is completely different on the '91?

And if you haven't already, http://www.fuelsaving.info/ is worth a read.

I was told it was a Twin Turbo Version. It has some insane pull and amazing power when you put yout foot down, so I don't doubt it.

It's defintely a Turbo (Hood Vent and Turbo Inside the Engine Bay), and Is definitely a GT as it is badged as such on the rear of the vehicle.

I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it up, if you're all that keep to see it. Unfortunately the paint's not in the best of conditions (was like that before I had it), but it runs incrediblely well (apart from guzzling petrol like it's going out of fashion).

Thanks for the replies so far. :) Anyone know offhand how many litres my wagon is or how to find out?

I also found this one, which seems to be a closer match, maybe?

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/performance/basket.php?makeid=31&modelid=502&year=1991&partid=5&brandid=1268

I was told it was a Twin Turbo Version. It has some insane pull and amazing power when you put yout foot down, so I don't doubt it.

It's defintely a Turbo (Hood Vent and Turbo Inside the Engine Bay), and Is definitely a GT as it is badged as such on the rear of the vehicle.

I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it up, if you're all that keep to see it. Unfortunately the paint's not in the best of conditions (was like that before I had it), but it runs incrediblely well (apart from guzzling petrol like it's going out of fashion).

Thanks for the replies so far. :) Anyone know offhand how many litres my wagon is or how to find out?

I'm no expert on the earlier subarus, but almost certainly a 2 litre block (ej20). You say you sighted a turbo in the engine bay, I believe from '93(?) the NZ GTs were twin turbo, so your's is almost certainly a single (a pic of the engine bay would be good:) ) However, if you sight a turbo on each side of the intercooler then you have a twin-turbo. ( a quick search on http://www.trademe.co.nz revealed no twin-turbos earlier than '93)

The link you provided was aimed at the US market, where the 2.2l and 2.5l engines are more common because of emission regulations I believe.

Only after seeing the pictures did I click that you are also from NZ! Remember that most of the guys and gals on this mb are in the US where the badging of the cars is completely different :-\

Haha, I'm such a noob. :banghead:

What I sighted was the intercooler. Guess it's a Singler Turbo then. :banana:

I'm learning about cars.. mmmk?

Yes, I'm in NZ, North Island, New Plymouth (far west)

She guzzles petrol like you won't believe. I checked the Air Filter and it's pretty grubby, so figured getting a new air filter might help a bit. Any other suggestions?

I've been using Premium (because it's turbo?) based on a few recommendations. Is that a silly thing to do, should I be using just standard gas?

She guzzles petrol like you won't believe. I checked the Air Filter and it's pretty grubby, so figured getting a new air filter might help a bit. Any other suggestions?

I've been using Premium (because it's turbo?) based on a few recommendations. Is that a silly thing to do, should I be using just standard gas?

Yes, a grubby air filter should be replaced, but be warned that that will only mean you can burn more gas!

Seriously though, running on premium gas is likely to reduce any pinging, but perhaps someone with an owners manual can enlighten us on whether the early NZ GT's were tuned for 91 or 95? Certainly the later turbo legacys were designed for 95+. I'd recommend sticking with premium, as you get what you pay for (ie. your fuel economy will be better than with 91) and less chance of damaging the engine.

lol i realise this info is sketchy as i have no links or proof - but some navy guy did a series of air filter tests on his mazda miata and found paper filters to be superior to any sports versions. He also found the air restriction from the filter itself was minimal and probably wouldnt cause a drastic change in performance.

As for removing the intake silencer box - i've done it on my wagon (its a Honda) and i've no idea if performance is better, but it definatly sounds beefier. Also my mate (also in whakatane) owns a GT turbo, so yes they do exist.:banana:

KELTIK

Haha, I'm such a noob. :banghead:

What I sighted was the intercooler. Guess it's a Singler Turbo then. :banana:

I'm learning about cars.. mmmk?

Yes, I'm in NZ, North Island, New Plymouth (far west)

check the tire pressure too.

On the note of gas milage, some things you can do:

-Air filter

-Fuel Filter

-Oil Change (duh)

-Sea foam your PCV valve to all hell.

-Change the Tranny Fluid

-Change Diff Oils

-Brake Overhaul

you know.. make new again :brow:

A little more info on the GT moniker. In the US, it stands for Grand Touring, but it originated with Gran Tourismo, which is Italian for Grand Touring. It all started with the 1960 Ferrari GT and 1962 Ferrrari GTO, in which Gran Tourismo is a racing class.

A little more info on the GT moniker. In the US, it stands for Grand Touring, but it originated with Gran Tourismo, which is Italian for Grand Touring. It all started with the 1960 Ferrari GT and 1962 Ferrrari GTO, in which Gran Tourismo is a racing class.

what about my GT Mach2 BMX bike?

It gets more complex in New Zealand. Was the car sold there originally or is it a used Japanese import? Kiwi gets some very interesting JDM cars we don't get here.

I believe NZ also uses the English system for rating pump gas. Although the rating is higher in octane at the pump than ours, the high octane actually performs about the same as high octane here in the states.

There is a very good chance that car was set up for high octane. My brother in law Norm in Queenstown has had a couple of turbos and they both required premium.

Hi All,

just thought I'd jump in here seeing as the kiwi's are taking over in this forum :)

Faithbleed, I have a 92 Legacy wagon (AT, non turbo) that I have had a K&N in for years and never had any problems. Sorry I dont have a part number but I cant get one if you want. I dont know that it provides much difference, but then I'm not much of a racer!

Been using 91 octane in it for awhile too and that goes ok, although its peppier with 95 octane, which I used for recent rip to wellington. Turbo's might be a bit fussier?

Cheers