Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 legacy Cam Angle / TPS.... which causing problems?

I'm really trying to keep my 2 old Soobies running for a while longers....

FIRST: '93, auto.... this car starts and runs good, but occasionally, when trying to jump out into traffic, the old boy lets us down.... just sputters and inches his way onto the road. After a few harrowing times of this, my wife does not want to drive it any more. It also seems weak on steeper hills. I ran the codes and it was showing 4... Cam Angle Sensor, Throttle Position Sensor, O2 Sensor and Canister Purge Solenoid.... I've already bought the O2 sensor and will put it in tomorrow, with little expectation of fixing the hesitation. The Cam and Thottle sensors are both very expensive, so I was hoping to get an idea of which one is most likely causing the issue.... AND.... how hard are the cam and throttle sensors to replace? Do you have to remove the timing belt cover? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SECOND: On the 90 legacy, auto, I've solved most problems and now have a good running car with no CEL's..... until I've run it for a good hour or so.... long after reaching "operating" temperature... it develops a miss at highway speeds, starting on the hills but becoming worse over the next 30 minutes or so. Eventually, you can't top a moderate hill above 35. Cooling down for a short while will restore it's running condition...... for a while, until the whole thing repeats. If you didn't drive for more than an hour, you'd think it ran perfectly. Any Ideas? It has a new o2 sensor and fuel filter....

Thanks again!

The first one, remove the TPS and test it with a meter. The cam sensor if it was bad the car (usually) would not run. Another possability is a tired or sloppy timing belt. The cam could be gettting out of synch with the crank sensor. Also check the fuel pump pressure and flow. Dont underestimate the o2 sensor, as it can make up for a multitude of sins.

The second sounds like its electrical in nature. First check and make sure your charging system is working. After this it sounds typical of a failing coil pack. As the coil gets hot, the spark gets weaker, this is due to age. Could be the ignitor, but i dont think so. Another possability is a fuel issue, like a tired fuel pump. Hook up a fuel pressure gauge where you can see it, and drive the car. Does the pressure drop off?

nipper

Howdy and thanks for the replies.....

Got the o2 sensor in the 93. Thought I was buying a direct replacement.... got a universal and (surprise) the wires were different colors than on Bosch's handy dandy little chart. Figured it out with the help of this board. What an amazing resource!

After the O2 was in, I reset the codes, got the steady flash. Hooked up the green connectors and drove. Got the steady flash. Drove the heck out of it. Got the steady flash. Drove home and parked. Steady flash. Rehooked up the black connectors, just in case. Steady flash. Unhooked the connectors, replaced the kick panel and started the car and the CEL came on. It was like a bad sitcom. Mike and the Sooby, Tuesdays at 8!

The good news is that the only thing it's coding now is 35, the canister purge solenoid valve.... which after all the rambling leads me to my question. Where can I get one? A quick search of some places I've seen listed here did not have one. I'm assuming I need to change the whole valve unit and cannot buy just the solenoid.

And on the 90 model.... I'll give that coil pack a shot and will probably do plugs and wires at the same time...... Thanks! Mike