Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MY79, 82 and 85 all had the E-brake lockup the front disks. Starting with MY90 Legacy LS AWD wagon and newer models, they now activate either the rear drum brakes or small shoes in the center of the rear disks.

The six speed manual tranny found currently in the sti's is the only US production subaru to disengage the rear drive when the handbrake is engaged.

thank you.

i don't supposed it would be very difficult to hook up a button type of switch to a convenient place on the ebrake handle that connects the loop to FWD fuse...

thank you.

i don't supposed it would be very difficult to hook up a button type of switch to a convenient place on the ebrake handle that connects the loop to FWD fuse...

er um, why do you want to do this out of curisoity

nipper

er um, why do you want to do this out of curisoity

nipper

e-brake slides my friend. :grin:

i think i may have to do it too... just for because well.. more crap needs to be done to that car :rolleyes:

are there any forseeable problems with switching it to FWD while moving? i mean.. if you can drop it into 4wd while moving.. i see no problem with throwing it into FWD.

SO... throw a fuse in the FWD fuse holder, cut a wire on the end of the fuse holder, run that over to where the 'brake' light switch is under the e-brake..... wire up a relay on the brake light switch, and complete the circuit...

easy enough? :brow:

Quick thought!

you might want to add a switch on the relay wire, so if want the rear end engaged when e-braking... it'll still work like it's stock.. for purposes like engine braking/offroading etc.. err.. and to not get in a fight with the 4wd switch which you all should have :rolleyes:

i'll take pics when it's done :grin:

e-brake slides my friend. :grin:

i think i may have to do it too... just for because well.. more crap needs to be done to that car :rolleyes:

are there any forseeable problems with switching it to FWD while moving? i mean.. if you can drop it into 4wd while moving.. i see no problem with throwing it into FWD.

SO... throw a fuse in the FWD fuse holder, cut a wire on the end of the fuse holder, run that over to where the 'brake' light switch is under the e-brake..... wire up a relay on the brake light switch, and complete the circuit...

easy enough? :brow:

Normally the C solenoid is putting the car in FWD many times a minute, so no harm in putting the car in full tiime FWD while moving.

nipper