Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1998 Impreza Wheels squeaking???

I hear a loud squeak when moving slowly through rush hour traffic. It sounds like squeaky breaks but the breaks aren't being engaged. It is getting louder and it only seems to happen when the car is warm and traveling at less than 10 mph. Could it be the wheel bearing? The front breaks are new and the back breaks were replaced only 10k miles ago. Any ideas?

I hear a loud squeak when moving slowly through rush hour traffic. It sounds like squeaky breaks but the breaks aren't being engaged. It is getting louder and it only seems to happen when the car is warm and traveling at less than 10 mph. Could it be the wheel bearing? The front breaks are new and the back breaks were replaced only 10k miles ago. Any ideas?

It ONLY happens when the car is moving forward?

If you ever hear it when starting the engine, idling or reving the engine while staionary - could be a V belt.

Carl

• 2 weeks later...

Had the wheel bearing checked out and everything looks ok. Yes, only hear the noise when the car is in motion. I think it might be a break issue becuase it only happens after the rotors warm up.

Could be the worn pad warning tabs are misaligned and dragging on the rotor, or a loose shim behind the pad. Does the noise stop when the brakes are applied?

Hard to diagnosis noises on the internet.

:)

Have plastic wheel covers? Take it off and stick it back on. I've found if they are stuck on like they weren't tapped evenly onto the wheel, they can make a funny squeaky sound when rolling.