Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lifters Causing Intermitant Miss Ea82t

Any one ever experience intermitant loss of compression due to lifter mystery. spark good,fuel good

recently i had noticed 1 cylinder has/had a temperay lose of compression..mild loss/not total.

any how i pulled the injecter plug off,and found which cylinder it was, this only happens when given a mild rev and then let it come down to idle.it has a slight flutter,then goes away,and does not seem to be there when on the gas..this only happens when backed down from around 1500rpm...after some tests, i know the cause is purely lifter related..so i cleaned the lifters and the problem is almost non existant...and only flutters a little now when brought back to idle.

anyone had this before,is there oil preassure under the lifter or something i dont know about yet??? the lifters seemed fine upon disassembly/reassembly, on the offending cylinder...:confused:

and compression test is good....its like the lifters/lifter may be pumping up too much or simular.

• 3 weeks later...

That intermitant problem i had ,well i have solved it....

i had a weak spring on n#3 cylinder,exhaust valve..which caused the lifter to pump up more than it should,and hold the valve open enough to cause a miss in the cylinder..intermitantly.....spring tension was 38 pounds. and should have been a lot higher..almost double..i changed out the weak spring and replaced it..the problem is gone.....i wonder if this has anything to do with it being the closet spring to the turbo...anyone have a simular problem?????..cheers