Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have only 225 miles on my 2006 2.5i 5-speed Outback and really love the car. It does have a quirk that I wondered if anyone else has noticed. The AC blows plenty cold when the compressor is engaged, but I get the feeling it cycles on and off too frequently resulting in air that is just starting to get cold.... then the compressor kicks out for a few seconds and things warm up again until the cycle repeats. The air never really gets cold enough to cool the car on a hot day.

I have tried all the settings and it behaves the same.

Anybody else notice this? Is this adjustable by the dealer? Otrherwise I love the car.

you paid for a new car and warranty, make them give you the services you've already paid for.

could be incorrectly charged....or could be multiple other problems with components, best to let them have a look. i'd vote for adjusting the charge.

Well I took it in to the dealer and he tested the temp at the vent at 45 degrees. He evacuated the system and recharged it and tested again. Still 45 degrees. I personally feel that on a long trip the system will be ok, it's just that on a hot day it's incapable of cooling the car down on a short trip. It seems to be related to how long the compressor stays engaged. Sems to be as designed? I'd be interested in hearing from other 2005/2006 Outback owners.

I'd be interested in hearing from other 2005/2006 Outback owners.

How about a 2000 owner? Our Legacy (175,000 mi) blows cold at all times, with one exception. If we're sitting idling at a lo-oong traffic light it will 'lose it's cool' a bit. But 1/2 block later it icy cold again. Except for me recharging it last summer with a store-bought kit, it's never been serviced.

I suspect yours is faulty. Have you driven another new Outback for comparison? I'd be back to that dealer toot sweet, make them drive you around in a duplicate off the lot.

Hey, it a brand new car!