Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 1990 legacy automatic 4wd that has stopped working. when you put the car into any gear it does not drive. Is there a "common " problem that occurs with these transmissions or a place to start looking as to what the problem is.

check fluid level. check shifter linkage, do the lights for D, R, N change when you shift?

drain and refill. drain it through a screeen and see if there are bits in there that shouldn't be.

see if the torque converter is spinning when you start the car.

pull a transmission cooler hose and crank the engine, see if any fluid comes out, this would verify the pump is working and you have line pressure.

check the transmission fluid pan for a major dent.

maybee I should be more specific. The trans stopped working so i got it up on the lift removed the trans and found the flywheel to be borken completley where it bolts up to the crank therefore the motor was spinning but not the trans. I then replaced the flywheel and a couple of the seals that went onto the shaft that connects the torqe converter to the pump. i made sure the convertor was seated all the way in before re-installing the trans. after all that no go still.i have checked all of the obvious and everything looks good. has new fluid and new filter. any suggestions are appreciated like the ones below.

check fluid level. check shifter linkage, do the lights for D, R, N change when you shift?

drain and refill. drain it through a screeen and see if there are bits in there that shouldn't be.

see if the torque converter is spinning when you start the car.

pull a transmission cooler hose and crank the engine, see if any fluid comes out, this would verify the pump is working and you have line pressure.

check the transmission fluid pan for a major dent.

I'm begining to think that maybe you have a bad torque converter or the torque converter is not bolted to the flexplate, like hinted at above. It is very unusual for a transmision that was working fine before to all of a sudden not work at all.

Either your torque converter is shot internally, or your front pump is shot. You need both to make the car go. The torque converter housing drives the front pump. The front pump is what allows the clutches to engage. You only need flow for a torque converter to work, and even a bad front pump will make enough flow to operate a converter.

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/torque_converters_explained.htm

WHat happens when you power brake the car (put it in drive, foot on the brake and give it gas at the same time).

Stall Speed test- When you apply full power and hold the car still with the brakes the stall speed it the maximum RPM the engine will produce with no forward movement.

If the car revs like it is in neutral, it would point even more to a TQ problem.

nipper

I know , just typed wrong.I was shopping around for a flywheel for anothere car before i posted.

That thing you replaced is the flex plate. Only MT's have a flywheel.

Have you verified that the torque converter is spinning with the flex plate through that access hole in the engine bell housing?

I have not had a chance to check the pump yet. i have reved up the engine high rpm range when in gear and no movement forward or reverse. ill check things out and keep you all posted thanks for your all your ideas.

I'm begining to think that maybe you have a bad torque converter or the torque converter is not bolted to the flexplate, like hinted at above. It is very unusual for a transmision that was working fine before to all of a sudden not work at all.

Either your torque converter is shot internally, or your front pump is shot. You need both to make the car go. The torque converter housing drives the front pump. The front pump is what allows the clutches to engage. You only need flow for a torque converter to work, and even a bad front pump will make enough flow to operate a converter.

http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/torque_converters_explained.htm

WHat happens when you power brake the car (put it in drive, foot on the brake and give it gas at the same time).

Stall Speed test- When you apply full power and hold the car still with the brakes the stall speed it the maximum RPM the engine will produce with no forward movement.

If the car revs like it is in neutral, it would point even more to a TQ problem.

nipper