Ultimate Subaru Message Board

General Disty Question

I'm putting my EA71 back together. I have an electronic disty off of an EA81. I need to know how to stab it in there where the gears are lined up properly. Another words, what cylinder should be TDC and stuff like that.

Anyone have a quick procedure?

If you don't have the flywheel on you can rotate the crank till the #1 piston is all the way up. #1 is the one closest to the disty - on the car it would be the front passenger side cylinder. You can tell when it's on the compression stroke by putting your finger over the plug hole - you will feel the air being pushed past your finger. Use a drinking straw to tell when the piston reaches TDC. Then just slide the disty in so that the rotor is pointing at whichever plug wire you want to use for #1. Most caps are marked. Fine adjustment you can do later by turning the disty with it's adjustment slot.

GD

I had the valve cover off on the #1 side and the head off on the opposite side. When the piston opposite was at TDC, I checked to make sure that both valves on the #1 cylinder were closed. I installed the distributor with the rotor facing the #1 position.

I have both heads off right now and brought them to a machine shop to get the exhaust stud threads drilled and tapped and to have a pretture test done before I slap them back on..

Thanks...