Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine shakes at speed

I don't know- grabbed both front axles and shook them pretty good ,the boots look brand new-it happened when we were on I-5 after 10 min of 55-60 mph.when i let off the pedal it went away.mabye the inboard joint is getting hot or somthing.

You won't be able to tell it's bad from the outside - the wear is on the inside of the joint, and likely has been there for a while - the various axle rebuilders don't replace stuff unless it's totally broke. Heat will make it more obvious - especially on the passenger side where the axle is right above the cat. The extra heat will expand the joint, and make it more loose. Also will cook the grease inside and turn it into some nasty goop. You may have good luck with just replaceing the grease and finding out why your cat is getting so hot. Make sure the heat sheild is in place, and check your mixture. Maybe a bad O2 sensor

or something.

(personally I just gut the cat's on mine so I don't have to worry about heat cooking off my boots)

GD

• 2 weeks later...