Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A couple of weeks ago I sought out advice here on how to replace the backlights on my climate control panel and found a great walkthrough with pictures on how to do it. Except for the infamous circ-clips, it was a fairly easy process.

Well, two weeks later ... one of the exact same backlights that was out before is out again. How is it a bulb only lasts two weeks???

I'm not sure I want to pull the assembly apart again as those stupid circlips could be the end of me. How annoying ... I suppose I could have some other electronic issue causing the bulb to fail, but most likely it's just coincidence and bad luck.

On a related topic, I some back lights on my radio were also out. These cannot be replaced as they are soldered to the the circuit board. A friend of mine had a couple of older Subie radios ... and, gee, surprise, surprise, they all had backlights out. Is the quality of these electronics really this poor?

Fortunately, he had one radio where everything seemed to be working. Although it was a different model (it didn't have the weatherband, whereas mine did) a cursory review of the two circuit boards revealed that they were likely compatible, and I swapped them successfully.

Now back to that @#$% climate control light ...

I replaced the lights behind my climate controls recently (97 OBW), and the bulbs I got at the dealership were much bigger than the originals. I thought they were incorrect, but they told me that Subaru changed the bulbs because the older version was prone to fail. Maybe you got one of these older ones. It's easy to tell if you got the newer bulb because it looks huge compared to the original.

A couple of weeks ago I sought out advice here on how to replace the backlights on my climate control panel and found a great walkthrough with pictures on how to do it. Except for the infamous circ-clips, it was a fairly easy process.

Well, two weeks later ... one of the exact same backlights that was out before is out again. How is it a bulb only lasts two weeks???

I'm not sure I want to pull the assembly apart again as those stupid circlips could be the end of me. How annoying ... I suppose I could have some other electronic issue causing the bulb to fail, but most likely it's just coincidence and bad luck.

On a related topic, I some back lights on my radio were also out. These cannot be replaced as they are soldered to the the circuit board. A friend of mine had a couple of older Subie radios ... and, gee, surprise, surprise, they all had backlights out. Is the quality of these electronics really this poor?

Fortunately, he had one radio where everything seemed to be working. Although it was a different model (it didn't have the weatherband, whereas mine did) a cursory review of the two circuit boards revealed that they were likely compatible, and I swapped them successfully.

Now back to that @#$% climate control light ...

Did you use sooby bulbs or the radio shack bulbs that are recomended. Also you dont say how old your car is, but lightbulbs burn out with age, it happens, and in the newer DIN steros, they cant be replaced (and aftermarket is the same way)

One thing to check is to see the voltage at the bulb socket.

nipper

I feel your pain Scott. But now that you're an expert you should be able to rip right thru it next time around.

I need to replace the climate control panel bulbs in my '97 Legacy wagon. Wuld someone kindly direct me to where I can find thise good instructions that Scott referred to?

Thanks,

Mike V.

I feel your pain Scott. But now that you're an expert you should be able to rip right thru it next time around.

I need to replace the climate control panel bulbs in my '97 Legacy wagon. Wuld someone kindly direct me to where I can find thise good instructions that Scott referred to?

Thanks,

Mike V.

Do a search on climate control, you will find it.

nipper

The link is in the FAQ sticky at the top of this forum. :)

As to the circlips, you shouldn't have had to touch them. (I'm not sure what car you have.) I suspect you are referring to the cable between the heat control lever and the damper under the dash. Remove the cable under the dash - not at the back of the climate control unit. Much much easier.

You may have twisted the little bulb base too far and lost contact with the electrical feed on the socket.

The first time or 2 I changed them out, I used dealer bulbs. They lasted about 1.5 years each. (But, I do a lot of driving and my lights are always on.) And the second time, they were the larger bulbs. The last time, I used RS bulbs, without any green condom covers. They are going on 3 or 4 years now. I don't have the right tint, but I don't really mind. I think the condom makes the bulb run hotter and it fails sooner. I've use the same RS bulbs in the dash switches (with the condom) and they fail after a couple of years. However, they can be changed out in just a few minutes.

Commuter

As to the circlips, you shouldn't have had to touch them. (I'm not sure what car you have.) I suspect you are referring to the cable between the heat control lever and the damper under the dash. Remove the cable under the dash - not at the back of the climate control unit. Much much easier.

'98 Legacy Outback.

There is a circlip holding the cable in place under the dash as well.

You may have twisted the little bulb base too far and lost contact with the electrical feed on the socket.

The first time or 2 I changed them out, I used dealer bulbs. They lasted about 1.5 years each. (But, I do a lot of driving and my lights are always on.) And the second time, they were the larger bulbs. The last time, I used RS bulbs, without any green condom covers. They are going on 3 or 4 years now. I don't have the right tint, but I don't really mind. I think the condom makes the bulb run hotter and it fails sooner. I've use the same RS bulbs in the dash switches (with the condom) and they fail after a couple of years. However, they can be changed out in just a few minutes.

Commuter

The bulbs I got were from the dealer also. Perhaps the bulb is twisted too far, but it worked for 2 weeks. Ah well, I'll take it all apart again. Gripe - grumble - groan.

Ugh.....I hate doing things twice, or even three times.

The Redio Shack bulbs worked great so far (+3 years).

If they burn out again, then I go to LEDs....a little pain to set up, but you will never have to change bulbs again.

Ugh.....I hate doing things twice, or even three times.

The Redio Shack bulbs worked great so far (+3 years).

If they burn out again, then I go to LEDs....a little pain to set up, but you will never have to change bulbs again.

ok you have my attention:banana:

nipper

'98 Legacy Outback.

There is a circlip holding the cable in place under the dash as well.

I have a 97 Outback.

Leave the cable attached to the back of the climate control unit. Under the dash (down by the passengers left foot), slip the cable out of the C shaped holder and slip the eye of the end of the cable off the damper mechanism. That's all you should have to do. I do not recall having to deal with any circlips. Did something change in 98? I haven't heard of this before.

You might want to mark / note the cable position in the C shaped holder. If you don't reposition it the same spot, you may lose a little of the damper travel. That is, it may not open / close 100% afterwards.

Commuter

Did you use sooby bulbs or the radio shack bulbs that are recomended. Also you dont say how old your car is, but lightbulbs burn out with age, it happens, and in the newer DIN steros, they cant be replaced (and aftermarket is the same way)

One thing to check is to see the voltage at the bulb socket.

nipper

yeah, but they're SUPER PRONE to burn out in 2nd gen legs and imps.

i had the same problem. burned out, replaced, burned out again. that was about 1.5 years ago. they're still burned out. taking everything apart is too big of a hassle to deal with. i know where the stupid buttons are.