Ultimate Subaru Message Board

While changing the oil on my 95 Legacy wagon I noticed a bit of grease leaking from the rubber boot near the front passenger side wheel. I guess this is the axle boot? If so, can the boot be replaced and refilled with grease, or is it better to go with a whole new (rebuilt) axle given that this one is 11 years old. I noticed posts about the poor quality of some rebuilt axles - is there a good supplier to look for?

While changing the oil on my 95 Legacy wagon I noticed a bit of grease leaking from the rubber boot near the front passenger side wheel. I guess this is the axle boot? If so, can the boot be replaced and refilled with grease, or is it better to go with a whole new (rebuilt) axle given that this one is 11 years old. I noticed posts about the poor quality of some rebuilt axles - is there a good supplier to look for?

Depends who is doing it and why. You can replace the boot, but it is just as much labor to replace the boot as it is to replace the axle (if not more). You can get a split boot, but they tend to leak on outer boots, but seem ok for inner boots.

nipper

How many miles on your legacy?Grab the axle with both hands and see if you can feel any slop.I would recomend going with OE replacement axles directly from subaru.Although there may be local shops that the subaru dealer would recomend in your area that could offer some type of warranty on the rebuild.

On the plus side OE is not that bad cost wise, considering how long they last.

nipper

Just called the dealer and they want $369 for a complete front axle. They said they only deal in new because Subaru had a problem with the remanufacuter so stopped using them and started supplying new parts again.

Just called the dealer and they want $369 for a complete front axle. They said they only deal in new because Subaru had a problem with the remanufacuter so stopped using them and started supplying new parts again.

There are a few options

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

they have great prices.

Another is go to a mom and pop auto parts store (there is a reason repairshops dont use autozone for parts) and get a rebuilt there.

nipper

I'd take an 80k mile 11 yr. old OEM axle with a slightly leaking outer boot over one of the "remanufactured" axles from the usual auto parts stores anyday. If you are adept at changing your own oil, you shouldn't have any problem removing/replacing the axle assembly. The outer joint is a press fit, and I've never heard of anybody being able to remove one from the axle. What you can do, once the axle is out of the car, is to remove the inner joint, slide the inner boot off then slide the outer boot up and off the axle, "bomb" the #^%#$ out of the outer joint with brake parts/carb spray cleaner---do the same with the inner joint----then regrease and replace with OEM boots.

Or if you'd rather not get greasy, you could take the axle and the new OEM boots to a CV joint repair shop....and even if it does cost a bit more than one of the "reman" axles, you're still way ahead of the game as far as quality goes. Remember, the parts stores sell them with a "lifetime guarantee" that doesn't cover the labor involved in replacing them every 10 or 20k miles. IF the OEM one you have is servicable, fix it and keep it!