Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Went to go to work today and my '98 Legacy almost didn't start?!?!

The starter was working, but the engine wouldn't turn over, or catch. I recently changed the air filter (last weekend) and did an oil change 2 weeks ago (synth with fram synth filter). It did finally start, but it was a bit disconcerting. :( I didn't have to use use the gas pedal at all. When I got into work (50km drive) I turned it off and started it twice without any problems and my gas mileage doesn't seem to be effected. The car ran normally during the drive.

I had just been on a long road trip over the weekend and had let the car sit all day Monday without starting it.

Any thoughts? Could this be random, or the beginning of something more serious?

Thanks for any imput!

Urban Coyote

Just be a little more vigilant for a few days.

One thing, it's usually not a good idea to start the car with the gas pedal depressed. I've read it can confuse the ECU. Do you normally need to hold the pedal down any to start the car? ('clear flood' - flooring it is different)

Carl

Just be a little more vigilant for a few days.

One thing, it's usually not a good idea to start the car with the gas pedal depressed. I've read it can confuse the ECU. Do you normally need to hold the pedal down any to start the car? ('clear flood' - flooring it is different)

Carl

No, I never hold the gas down when I start the car. My old Loyale went through a period where it was very hard to start due to a engine temp sensor being bad. I had to give it a bit of gas to get it going. I almost thought I would have to give it a bit of gas this morning, but it eventually started up.

I went out at lunch today and started the car and it was a-ok. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be going on a long road trip in two weeks (NS to PA) and don't need something like this starting so close to the trip :(

Urban Coyote