Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I get the steering wheel off of my justy?

I do not know about your particular model, but as a rule of thumb you are going to need a harmonic balancer puller or a similar tool. Remove the plastic covers and signal. Undo a nut (probably 22 mm) use your puller.

Sam

Thanks for the tip. Right now I'm having a bit of trouble getting even the horn cover off!

I do not know about your particular model, but as a rule of thumb you are going to need a harmonic balancer puller or a similar tool. Remove the plastic covers and signal. Undo a nut (probably 22 mm) use your puller.

Sam

What year Justy is it? There are a number of screws holding it on, if you tell me the year I can help you find them all.

You don't necessarily HAVE to use a steering wheel puller to remove the wheel from the column. I took my Legacy's steering wheel off (which had not moved in 152k miles) by just removing the nut and shaking it a bit.

Looking at my diagrams, I don't see any external screws either.

The pad is probably 'wrapped' around the frame of the wheel so to speak. Try reaching behind it on the edges and opening it out, then trying to remove it. It also looks like it has two points that snap into the frame as well, so you might have to gently pop them out. It might help if you pull the horn fuse (so it doesn't go off) then try to press in the middle of it with your thumbs while you pull on the outward edges. Do it firmly but slowly. If it requires too much effort, don't force it. Repost and I'll try to help.

Once you get the pad off, you should see the nut on the main shaft right in the center.

I would think another steering wheel should fit. You can try pulling a JY wheel and seeing if it will fit.

well that stinks. I'd still like to get my horn button off and have a look-see. I tugged and pryed and yanked on the thing, no luck!

As far as I rememer on Loyale you should go probably 20-30 degrees towards you and rest ot the force should go up. Sort of pushing up with your thumbs meantime pointing fingers pull toward you.

Good luck!

Sam

Hey I got my horn button off!

If you pull hard from the top, it will pop off okay. There are four clips, and the top two are angled upwards, so that is why you have to pull from the top.

But, yes. the splines are not even close to the same... :(

Now the question is how can I make the legacy steering wheel that I bought work in my justy???

If you look under www.grantproducts.com you MAY still be able to find the horn kit to install any Grant signature series steering wheel on a 87-94 Justy. I have one kit on my 88 and another one my 90. I also have one as a spare for the day when they discontinue it....I hope they have not done that yet!!!:-\ If you can't find the PN# on their site, PM me and I'll get you the number so you can start your search.

Cost is about $50.00 for the kit but, you can pick up some really nice Grant wheels on ebay for 'Dirt Cheap'. I personally know of no other wheel, Subie or otherwise that will fit the Justy splines.

Good Luck...Hope ya get one!:banana:

Jim

Hey I got my horn button off!

If you pull hard from the top, it will pop off okay. There are four clips, and the top two are angled upwards, so that is why you have to pull from the top.

But, yes. the splines are not even close to the same... :(

Now the question is how can I make the legacy steering wheel that I bought work in my justy???

You were definitely right all along! Although I wish you weren't. I NEED to figure out how to get this Legacy wheel on my justy...

I was thinking of pressing out the splines in my wheel and welding them to the legacy wheel or something along those lines. What do you all think??

EA81....

GD