Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake pad clips touching the rotor -- noise

I had pulsing in the brakes for a while before I changed the abuser disks. Then the noise started to come from the brake pad clips (on which brake pads are installed and clips are installed on the "support" or "craddle"). I've changed pad clips but It seems that probably both brake pads and supports got a bit worn and now after brakes warm up, whenever I brake, clips start touching rotors (mainly seems to be touching radially outside sides of them) making quite nasty sounds, especially if I am going very slowly and slightly depressing the brakes.

The perfect solution would be probably to exchange the whole beast -- calipers with supports and brake pads -- just one of those remanufactured caliper sets I believe.

But may be I can fixate clips better somehow? stupid idea -- may be some red (high temp) silicone underneath would keep them staying better on the craddle? ;-)

I had the same noise on a 91 legacy after a brake job, drove me nutty until I figured it out.

I fixed it by loosening the two bolts that hold the caliper frame, or the part you had to take off to remove the discs, pryed the frame out with a screwdriver and retightened.

It only takes a bit for the needed clearance.

This is good advice but also check and make sure both caliper pins are sliding in and out, usually the bottom one with the little rubber boot will give problems. You can make new boots for these with vacum line hose of same size.

I had the same noise on a 91 legacy after a brake job, drove me nutty until I figured it out.

I fixed it by loosening the two bolts that hold the caliper frame, or the part you had to take off to remove the discs, pryed the frame out with a screwdriver and retightened.

Great Advice! :banana: (my wife asked for this man to come here ;-))

I thought about such possibility that this "carrier" or craddle is slightly misplaced but I blindly believed that it should be ok... will try it asap ;-) Actually this problem came up when I replaced CVs on both sides... and the noise comes from both sides

Thank you

This is good advice but also check and make sure both caliper pins are sliding in and out, usually the bottom one with the little rubber boot will give problems. You can make new boots for these with vacum line hose of same size.

Yes - I checked those... on one side it was close to be stuck -- the boot had a hole, thus inside it was quite dirty... I cleaned it, greesed up slightly and patched the hole with red silicone.. I will check if it was effective whenever I work on fixing my noise ;)

• 2 weeks later...

BTW - aren't those "boots" rubber should have better thermal characteristics (withstanding more heat, should not extend much to don't "freeze" the caliper) than a regular vacuum line hose? I am just about to work on my brakes, so I am wondering if I should grab some vacuum hose along (don't know the size though :-/)

did you try it on your own? did they last long?

sorry for so many questions at once