Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Getting the EA82T running

Hi, after many months of work on this project I finally got the EA82T in my kit car.:banana:

I've transplanted the stock ECU and loom, and think I've connected everything up as it should be.

When I crank it over, it starts, runs for about 5 seconds then cuts out. If I pump the gas pedal it runs for a bit longer but its hard to keep it going for long.

Anyone got any advice for what to start checking -I need some logic/system behind what to do next because I a little at a loss.

Other info- I cant get the LED in the ECU to light up, with green connectors connected ign on/off etc. Would the car run as above with a duff ECU? When I turn the ignt on the fuel pump primes then stops, I cant hear if it is pumping after I start cranking the engine though. Just not sure where to go from here.

any advice would be great, thanks.

Habib:headbang:

Knowing which fuel/timing system you are using would be helpful.

In general, I would say bust out a test light and get to work on the wiring harness. I am going to bet that when you find the cause of the O2 light not coming on, you will find the reason the fuel pump isn't coming on.

Do you have a spare ECU to test?

Other info- I cant get the LED in the ECU to light up, with green connectors connected ign on/off etc.

Habib:headbang:

I thought you connect the green connectors for timing or "safe" mode and the black ones to retrieve saved codes, and both of them to clear the codes?

No check engine light, but I need to test the bulb as I have pulled around so much on the harness it may be badly connected. Should the check engine light come on with the ignt on but engine off?

I'm not saying the fuel pump isnt on, I just cant hear if it is or not (I can hear it prime as the engine isnt making a noise at that stage).

Running MFPI, ECU with four plugs, timing -stock dizzy and stock coil.

The engine is a UK model - it hasnt got a O2 sensor - funny I know but true.

I can get another ECU so I 'll start by swapping and see where that leaves me. -no LED, no check engine, making me think the ECU is dead.

Flapper or hotwire MAF?What year?

ECS light should be on w/key on engine off.

Are you saying that you are running a MPFI ECU on a turbo ?

Sounds a bit like the shielded ignition pulse wire from coil - to the ECU is disconnected,but,w/no ECS light who knows.(flapper style only?)

I would put a voltmeter on the fuel pump to see if voltage drops outs right before shutdown.If that was OK,I would check fuel pressure.

Flapper or hotwire MAF?What year?

ECS light should be on w/key on engine off.

Are you saying that you are running a MPFI ECU on a turbo ?

Sounds a bit like the shielded ignition pulse wire from coil - to the ECU is disconnected,but,w/no ECS light who knows.(flapper style only?)

I would put a voltmeter on the fuel pump to see if voltage drops outs right before shutdown.If that was OK,I would check fuel pressure.

It's a turbo, (I thought MFPI was also what it was called -but I dont know), Its the standard ECU that ran the engine fine before. Just since I've transplanted it it isnt running.

It's hotwire MAF. 1989-1990

I'll check the ECU and fuel pump voltages and get back with more info. try and narrow it down a bit.

OK been out to check a few things:

Voltage to pump -fine all the time.

ECU big red power supply fine.

Wiring to MAF (hot wire) I think ok - as far as I can tell.

I can force it to carry on running by pumping the gas, but it runs rough and there's the odd pop, missfire. I think it runs a LITTLE better with the two green connectors connected -not sure about this but it is a slight difference.

With the two green connectors connected the fuel pump does not prime when the ignt is turned on. but it pumps when the engine is cranked/running.

-hmmm that's all I can think of.

I thought of adjusting the timing but I havnt touched the distributor position and the engine belts havnt been moved so I was pressuming that the timing would be ok as it was before I took it out of the original car.

Thanks for any further thoughts.