Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just went over to take a look to see what wonderful gizmos and gadgets I can get to make my soob do everything but fly. Some of them did have some pretty ridiculous claims, and I was wondering which of them actually had any effect.

1. Grounding kits

Claim: adds 7-10 hp

Smoother running engine

lower fuel consumption

Price: 15-30$

2. Performance chips/modules

Claim: adds up to 12-45 hp

better fuel economy

Increased torque

Price: 25-80$

3. Mufflers/exhaust tips (think ricer)

Claims: 5-15 hp

greater throttle response

Price: 40-80$

4. Air filters

Claims: Increase 4-10 hp

Better gas milage

Price: ~$40

So what are the legit ways to get a little more out of your engine without dropping too much cash?

in virginia, your exhaust is technically not legal. get oinched for speeding, and the officer will cite your aftermarket muffler for "improper exhaust." lots of friends, co-workers, etc. that had that happen.

if you get pulled over and you have an intake on there, refuse to open your hood for the officer. you'll get a ticket for the intake as well.

and, wear your seat belt, apparently....

they do. but they need probable cause first (hence why it happens after you get a speeding ticket) 4th amendment allows you to keep the hood closed. but the exhaust is plain view, and yeah.....

you can get smart about exhaust. i've seen the civics with dummy stock muffler in place and a dump pipe. loud as heck, but no citation, i guess

one of the reasons i dislike virginia....

While nothing you've listed will really do anything on its own, you may get a little bit of an improvement if you add them all together, although i would caution you:

1, the "high performance" air filters may flow more air, but they also flow more dirt, sand and dust.

2, I trust the engineers at FHI more than the guys at company XYZ when it comes to stock fuel maps.

3. a loud exhaust does not horsepower make, besides, the stock bits on the new stuff flow pretty good for the NA models.

4. If the grounding kits did everything that they claimed, the cars would come with them from the factory, oh wait, they do have ground straps from the factory :lol:

I just went over to take a look to see what wonderful gizmos and gadgets I can get to make my soob do everything but fly. Some of them did have some pretty ridiculous claims, and I was wondering which of them actually had any effect.

1. Grounding kits

Claim: adds 7-10 hp

Smoother running engine

lower fuel consumption

Price: 15-30$

2. Performance chips/modules

Claim: adds up to 12-45 hp

better fuel economy

Increased torque

Price: 25-80$

3. Mufflers/exhaust tips (think ricer)

Claims: 5-15 hp

greater throttle response

Price: 40-80$

4. Air filters

Claims: Increase 4-10 hp

Better gas milage

Price: ~$40

So what are the legit ways to get a little more out of your engine without dropping too much cash?

1. unlikely to ADD power but might restore some if grounds are corroded or missing.

2. quite likely to have some effect but sometimes the torque curve is 'shifted' and if the air/fuel is altered to more 'lean', lifespan of valves could be affected I guess.

3. I think mufflers COULD be good for a coupla HP, but 'tips'? no way.

4. Intakes may be good for a coupla HP, but some folks have over-oiled the elements and destroyed MAF sensors. Engine oil analysis also shows increased silicon which is usually a sigen of 'dust' getting past the filter. Though I haven't read anything that indicates the particle size is actually large enough to damage anything. check www.bobistheoilguy.com

The best safest ways to increase aceleration is to reduce mass. Start with rotatating, unsprung mass - ie. lighter wheels. Then lighter flywheel if MT and maybe lighter crank/access. pulleys. Also, remove any excess/unneeded weight in the car. rules of thumb indicate 8-11 pounds removed adds (frees up) 1hp.

Subarus are not the best platforms to start with for 1/8-1/4 mile dragsters. You'll have more fun rigging it for the twisties - on or off pavement.

check some of the performance stuff at www.subarureview.com

just my 2 cents

Carl

Grounding kits are good for reducing ground resistance thereby alowing lights to work more efficiently. But they won't increase HP unless you have a high alternator draw caused by extremely high ground resistance.

Performance chips are risky from no-name companies, and will void a new cars warranty. Plus they could cause poor running under certain situations if they are not mapped well.

A high flow muffler might reduce exhaust resistance thereby increasing high rpm power output on a normally aspirated engine, but they usually won't make a huge difference without an entire exhaust of a larger diameter.

With air filters it's better to stick with Genuine OEM. They are not much more then after market filters and provide the best balance of flow versus cleaning ability.

Grounding kits are good for reducing ground resistance thereby alowing lights to work more efficiently. But they won't increase HP unless you have a high alternator draw caused by extremely high ground resistance.

Performance chips are risky from no-name companies, and will void a new cars warranty. Plus they could cause poor running under certain situations if they are not mapped well.

A high flow muffler might reduce exhaust resistance thereby increasing high rpm power output on a normally aspirated engine, but they usually won't make a huge difference without an entire exhaust of a larger diameter.

With air filters it's better to stick with Genuine OEM. They are not much more then after market filters and provide the best balance of flow versus cleaning ability.

i agree with all statements.

and second the weight comment above. when i autox'ed a few weeks ago i stripped my car. i took out the bottom and back of the back seat, took out the passenger seat, cleaned out the trunk and took out the spare tire. there were HUGE differences in accel off the line. the whole car felt more nimble and peppy.

so, first thing's first, get to doing some weight reducing with the interior as well as the spinning parts.. i think there's actually a thread somewhere here about things that you can take out of your car to reduce weight.