Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I discovered this slipping thing last Saturday after staying overnight at the mountain, and was driving slightly uphill all the sudden it slips, the revs & speed jumps just feels like you're riding on the clutch, pulled over checked out couldn't smell anything... I thought oh yeah water on the clutch, got back in car, drove off - felt like normal no more slipping at all.

Tonight coming home from Ballarat, cruising on western hwy at around 115-120 kmh - no worries, pulled over in Caroline Springs to get some fuel, drove off no worries, I was speeding doing 100 in 80zone, I had this shudder feeling. (possible because I have worn shockers in rear, but why didn't do it on western hwy from ballarat!?).. then approached the lights, drove off.. whoa.. its slipping again!! revs are up there, if you reach 4000rpm approx it kicks in then you're able to catch up to speed..... when I steer around the corner, I could feel some sort of rough vibration feels like no power steering fluid (in my experience) it felt rough/grinding... arrived home, opened up the bonnet, I *could not* smell clutch burning smell.. I remember the last person who sold me the liberty replaced the clutch 1000 kms before I bought it, that was 55,000kms ago till today's date, so I don't think its slipping clutch.. It is obviously gearbox problem......... I am really stunned what has gone wrong... AWD system is complicated to me... Something is slipping.. sussed that its the gearbox?

Its off from EJ22 AWD Liberty single range gearbox.

what is your input?

Cheers

AP

AWD is simple, and this has nothing to do with the awd, its a simple clutch issue.

Try starting the car off from a dead stop in 3rd or 4th gear. If you can do it without stalling the car, you have a bad clutch. The clutch could be worn, could be contaiminated, but either way it has to come out.

Was a receipt supplied stating if the clutch was really replaced and what was done?

nipper

AWD is simple, and this has nothing to do with the awd, its a simple clutch issue.

Try starting the car off from a dead stop in 3rd or 4th gear. If you can do it without stalling the car, you have a bad clutch. The clutch could be worn, could be contaiminated, but either way it has to come out.

Was a receipt supplied stating if the clutch was really replaced and what was done?

nipper

Did that - started off in 3rd quickly, it just slips, revs jumps not speedo - i was wrong - Its simple that the clutch is gone.

No reciepts from previous seller because he got the deal thru a mechanic, I dont think he even asked for them - I don't know and I no longer can get in touch with him has he left Australia back to Italy. So simple, I have to accept that.

Just to confirm, your liberty is MT correct?

If so, it's probably a clutch issue or possibly some oil or what not has gotten on the flywheel/clutch and creating the problem you're describing.

Yep its 5MT - Clutch possible gone?

CHeers and thanks guys, gearbox is dropping down on Saturday.

AP

I'd recommend replacing the rear main seal and resealing the oil separator plate on the back of the engine. You'll need to remove the flywheel to get at these things, but it's a good idea to do that stuff while you're in there.

I'd also suggest doing the pilot & throwout bearing as well.

Did that - started off in 3rd quickly, it just slips, revs jumps not speedo - i was wrong - Its simple that the clutch is gone.

No reciepts from previous seller because he got the deal thru a mechanic, I dont think he even asked for them - I don't know and I no longer can get in touch with him has he left Australia back to Italy. So simple, I have to accept that.

Yep its 5MT - Clutch possible gone?

CHeers and thanks guys, gearbox is dropping down on Saturday.

AP

Your clutch is shot, the question is why. Your gooing to have to wait till its pulled apart to find out why. i have a feeling this may not be a new clutch.

nipper

Oh by the way, How long an standard clutch should last - for 85% highway daily driver - doesn't push car hard - did go off road a few times.

Cheers

AP

er um, there are easier questions to answer. like is there a God.

a good driver should get 80,000 miles at least. On subarus it seems like 130,000 or more is not out of the question, even more if you have a hill holder.

If you have a clutch cable, replace that too (never know what other countries have).

nipper