Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Step by Step Timing belt for EJ22

OK... I'm looking for the hints, tips, and tricks all you veterans know for doing the timing belt on an EJ22.

I have the service manual, and I was able to do it with help on the engine stand... Now its in the car, so a little less space to work with.

thougthts?

first verfy that you actually need to do the job...

its a non interference motor so the only thing that busting a timing belt causes is inconvenince. look for big cracks in the inner and outer belt surface.

if you know the way to do the job, heres a few tricks...

do it without the radiator in the car, way easier

hold the T belt on the cam gears in the right place using several clothes pins while you thread the belt the rest of the pulleys.

use a small nail to hold the tensioner.

maybe do the water pump and/or oil pump at the same time since you have access?

if you know the way to do the job, heres a few tricks...

do it without the radiator in the car, way easier

hold the T belt on the cam gears in the right place using several clothes pins while you thread the belt the rest of the pulleys.

use a small nail to hold the tensioner.

maybe do the water pump and/or oil pump at the same time since you have access?

Good call on the water pump, and also make sure to use a good one and nto some cheapo rebuild.

Radiator fan removal is key, but I did mine with the radiator in place. A bit crowded, but possible (hey it could be worse, think DOHC in that space:-p ). If you leave the radiator in, put a sheet of MDF or cardboard behind it so you won't bend the fins while digging around in there.

If you are only replacing the timing belt, you should be able to do it without removing the radiator, as you don't need as much space as when you are trying to remove oil seals, etc. If you are going to be doing other maintenance.. seals, pump, etc, go ahead and remove the radiator. It is so much easier.

If you have done it on the stand, you will be able to do it in the engine bay. Make sure you have a good set of socket extensions of various lengths...

Matt D