Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Soob Dominates Mexican Desert!

Thanks for all the props and comments, folks! It was a hell of a trip, but not my last for sure.

Currently the Soob is suffering from some rather severe transmission knocking noises. I bought the car at around 150,000 miles and I think it still had the original gear oil in it. Now it is pushing 190,000 miles and the tranny is suffering. In any case, I got a replacement tranny out of a Brat shipped to me from Tennessee and I am currently in the process of swapping it out. As soon as I do there will be much more joyful adventuring in Mexico, and I will make it into the Maderas del Carmen Mountains.

Stay tuned...

What a trip. Everything is bigger down there. How many miles in all was it? Love the pics, awesome challenge in a car that can.I have done similar, non-stop in an old soob, very satisfying venture. Looked like alot of straight road to the horizon..

To say simple isn't better is proven otherwise by motivations like yours.:)

Thanks!

It was 100 miles in and 100 miles back out. I had hoped to connect to another road and make it a loop, but rain and long deep water crossings dictated otherwise. I didn't want to have to break out the fence puller and execute a self rescue. I will try accessing that area again by another route.

... but in mexico there aren`t subarus yet, Isn`t it? ...

Just came back here to say Good Luck in the Maderas del Carmen Mountains Trip, and to Add some info. about Subaru in Mexico: Subaru Started to Sell its Cars in Mexico in May or June of this Year, in part it was due to its Rally in Mexico, but I don´t know further details.

You can Check this out: http://www.subaru.com.mx/ maybe they can help you if you need a spare part in mexico.

Good Luck! :headbang:

Wow. Awesome.

Get a 2" lift and some slightly bigger tires on there so you can avoid some of the exhaust bashing. :banana:

Yeah, I have been considering that. The exhaust was banged up, but still airtight. The noise turned out to be from losing one of the nuts that holds the y-pipe on to the exhaust manifold. That caused some leakage past the gasket.

The worst damage to the underside was the smashed sway bar bushing on the driver's side. Fortunately the bracket that holds the bushing in place was crushed but still functional, preventing a suspension catastrophe. :eek:

• 1 year later...
you can do it:banana: :banana: :banana:

Whats neat is I can just toss some supplies in and just wing it with a map and not much plan other than where I want to reach and a general idea of the needed route. (sometimes the map and what is actually still there to drive on differ)

Or I can spend a few bucks and go with one of the planned out routes here: http://oohva.org/

Of course they don't cover right from my area so I'd have to figure that out myself. :)

Thanks for the bump, guys.

As a postscript to this story, a few weeks after this trip my transmission started making horrible noises. When I drained the gear oil out came a severed tooth from one of the gears.

I am installing a Brat transmission now. Then it will be time to party once again.

Awesome story and photos! Be thankful you have areas like that to explore relatively close. The only place to get 100 miles away from anything in the wasteland of a state that FL has become is to go east, west or south and you need a boat, not a Soob. I've always dreamt of moving out West but with an upcoming wedding (next weekend!) and a house in a sinking market it doesn't look like it'll happen soon.

One bright note is that springs like those in your pics are all over down here. They are usually surrounded by "campgrounds" for the RV folks but beautiful nonetheless.

Man, what a great trip. I like the fact that his wagon is not lifted/EJ22/5-speed etc... Just shows how sturdy these wagon are in their original state.

I moved from PA to CA in 92 in my 84 wagon. Best road trip ever; just me, my wagon and all the time in the world. I had bought topo maps for CO, CA and OR and would turn off the highways and take fire roads when I would get road bored. Had one flat tire in OR, that was the only problem I occured during the entire trip. Best memory was trucking along a fire road in N. CA and watch a dust cloud approaching from behind. About 3 min later get passed by a 50's Chevy Apache haulin a@#. That was the only other vehicle I ever saw on those fire roads.