Ultimate Subaru Message Board

so in my pursuit to spiffing up the car for as little money as possible i've decided to document it through pictures , before , durring, and after. i'm a complete nube at doing all of this, but a buddy of mine did a project in school where they restored a totally rusted out pos. picked up a pen/brush of paint that was cataloged to match the sub's color. just filled in some of the deeper spots with some bonding putty, wet-sanded wtih 320grit paper, and put a coat of paint on the spots. so far i've only taken pictures of the before spots. i'll post more "durring" pictures later on. next week or two we're gonna hit it again. any suggestions about the wheels?

in order not to bog down the 56k users, i'm going to simply link the photos, for those interested, any input is welcome as i love advice

http://www.dj3stripes.com/subaru/paint-before/

thanks will do. i'll take some pictures of what we've done thus far. i suck at applying paint and i have a feeling i'll be sanding quite a bit. and of course sanding down the rust areas with a dremmel and attachment, then bonding, then sanding, then painting.........ungh, i hate nebraska summers, so hot out. the question is, once the body is touched up enough to my liking, should i get caliper paint? if so, what's a good color to go with the white body? or maybe i'm just getting greedy........

I had the same rear upper fender rust as you do. I did this:

1. Cut out rusted sheetmetal

2. used rust converter all around the inside and outside of the sheet metal

3. filled the inside with expanding insulation

4. cut / trimmed the insulation with a slight recess to the sheet metal surface

5. filled it in with bondo

6. this is where I am now

So next is to get the surface perfect, with the help of an aluminum ruler and a sanding block.

I've got plans to spray on acrylic enamel through a displosable aerosol sprayer. Never done this before, though my father has (didn't look all that good though).