Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with an electrical connector issue

Yesterday some nitwit cuts through a parking lot and clips the left front of my 97 Legacy L sedan, ripping off the bumper cover, left headlight assembly and the grill. I am trying to make the car driveable until the shop can get it in but when the headlight was ripped off, it pulled the wires out of the back of the connector for the turn signal/front marker. Now for the life of me I cannot get them back into the plug. If you look at the wiring diagram, the plug number is number F19, the connector itself is the brown one that then connects into the back of the gray plug that holds the bulb. There are three wires (I have figured out the placement) but again, I can figure out how to reset the wires into the plug.

Anyone got any tips on how to get the wires back into the plug?

Thanks.

There are little plastic tabs that hold the female balde terminals in. If they broke those tabs, you will never get them to stay in. Best bet is to get a new pigtail and wire it in. ALso some terminsal snap in from the front of the connector (makes perfect sense on the assembly line). These are never meant to be serviceable.

nipper

Hey if anyone is interested I actually figured it out. On the front of the brown connector along the lower edge is a turquoise colored bar. I removed this piece with the aid of a small jeweler’s screwdriver. It seems it is a locking mechanism for the pins. Once removed, I was able to seat the pins, reset the turquoise lock and all is well. Wires secure and I actually got the three wires in the right spot! YIPPEE.