Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C ? on my '88 Wagon

Howdy folks,

A ? regarding A/C conversion from R-12 to R-134a.

My system has R-12 & that stuff is next to impossible to get. Has been doing fine till recently when it slowly went from cold air to ...not cold.

Has anyone ever topped off their R-12 system w/ R-134 (without total evacuation and re-charge)...& it worked? I know on the can of R-134 it says do not mix w/ R-12....but???

Thanks!

I am looking at converting my '88 to R-134. The conversion kits run around $40 and look simple to install. You have to have a shop clean out your system before you can recharge it with the new stuff. From what I understand, if you do not get all of the R-12 and lubricant out it will not work very well.

Do not recharge with a r12 sytem with 134a. The two are not compatable. The assumtion that replacing r12 with r134a is easy, is a fallacy. Synthetic oils must be used with r134a. It is not readily mix with mineral oil or alkylbenzine lubricants, the proper lubes are: poyol ester oil or/and polyalkylene glycol depending upon what the manufacturer deems apropiate for the application. As far as the retrofiting goes an increase of condenser and evaporator size of up to 30% over a similar r12 system is comon practice. also, the desiccant used with r134a is a molcular seive. r12 used a silicone gel. Hoses are usually smaller in diameter in a r134a system as compared to those of a r12 system. The control systems also vary, and are important to the proper operation of the system. Along with the above mentioned items.