Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi Gang:

I recently imported an 06 Outback into Canda from the US....and I am thinking that I would like to convert the speedo, odometer and fuel consumption functions.

Is this a difficult or expensive process? Any thoughts on where to get parts in Vancouver BC?

thanks

lb

I was kind of hoping that the units on the odometer, fuel consumption and temperature would be a computer/dip switch thing...I can't imagine that Subaru would make diferent computers for each country....I noticed the manual is for both US and Canadian spec'd cars.

Hi Gang:

I recently imported an 06 Outback into Canda from the US....and I am thinking that I would like to convert the speedo, odometer and fuel consumption functions.

Is this a difficult or expensive process? Any thoughts on where to get parts in Vancouver BC?

thanks

lb

isnt the spedometer analog?

is there anything in the owners manual about it?

You may want to email subaru of america. They are quite good at answering technical questions

nipper

i don't think the speedometer is an issue, it's just the overlay with km instead of miles. the fuel consumption?? is there a read out in gals? the odometer is the hard one.

why notjust get a used canadian instrument cluster from a salvage yard.

isnt the spedometer analog?

is there anything in the owners manual about it?

You may want to email subaru of america. They are quite good at answering technical questions

nipper

i don't think the speedometer is an issue, it's just the overlay with km instead of miles. the fuel consumption?? is there a read out in gals? the odometer is the hard one.

why notjust get a used canadian instrument cluster from a salvage yard.

There is that entire "void warrenty" thing if he changes the cluster head ( not easy to find a brand new 06 in a junkyard). Remember this is a brand new car. i think there is probably some trick to do it on the digital readout. The spedo you will be stuck with.

nipper

Thanks everyone.

Yes, would like to keep my warranty and will ask Subaru of America how conversion will impact it...but I suspect that won't be an issue. I contacted them to get a letter concerning recalls that I needed to import the car, and they seemed really familiar with people bringing them accross the line.

Thanks for the link to the Tacoma shop....will let you all know how it turns out.

lb