Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny

Generally, it was the manual gl models that came with dual range transmissions. I would not rely on either the year or model of the ea82 cars to tell what you may be getting - if its still running around after 15+ years, it's likely had driveline parts changed.

If I remember right around the time they changed the name from GL to Loyale they did away with the D/R and only went with the push button, that was 1990. And then all DLs were puch button. So 1985 to 1989 GLs would be what you are looking for. But even some of them were push button too. So it's best to just ask. I found asking if there is the button in the stick shift was the best question to ask over the phone, no one forgets the little red button.

Hope that helps.

Generally, it was the manual gl models that came with dual range transmissions. I would not rely on either the year or model of the ea82 cars to tell what you may be getting - if its still running around after 15+ years, it's likely had driveline parts changed.

Not at all. It is not uncommon to see 200k + miles on the EA82 5 speeds.

I have seen many of them outlast pretty much every other part on the car. Mine for example. It is 18 years old. The car it came from has ceased to exist(as a car anyway), but the tranny is still going strong.

To the OP. I could be wrong about this, but the standard NA DR uses the same gearing throughout the EA82 model years. I know that on the EA81 4 speed DR, there is a slight difference between the early ones and the later ones, but again, I don't thinkn that applies to the EA82s