Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SPFI longivity???

a car with SPFI...any idea,stories,experiences on how many miles can be gotten useing the SPFI before they can be considered unreliable ( I have seen some with 300,000mi..maybe just the exception...I don't know)...I am still debateing with myself if to install the spfi or just get the carburetor rebuilt...when traveling, I usually go to remote areas where getting FI parts could be a problem..no matter how you cut it, FI just gives a better feel, but the carb I think can be more reliable..I know if I was going to Mongolia it would be the carb...the other vehicle I have is a VW and because of it age I do carry around extra FI parts... (what the newer FI "Land Rover" commercial doesn't show, is that the back-up "Rover" is loaded with FI parts and is powered by a carbed motor)

Dead reliable and ability for virtually any mechanic along the way to fix it would be a Weber Carburator. Simple, efficient, and lotsa parts availability.

2nd would be SPFI though, and not a great distance behind. Mileage will be better, and of all the late 80's subarus they are the most common. They will also self diagnose many of their own problems and tell you in morse code which is nice. Bring a spare fuel filter and it should be great.

The stock hitachi I wouldnt rebuild, not when you can get a weber for 300.

Its a very simple and reliable system. In 292K on my 3-door (did replace the engine underneath it at 262K though) and 165k on my wagon, I've had essentially zero problems with the SPFI.

And - since I see you're in Michigan - no cold starting issues.

Like previously stated, (much) better gas milage and any sensor malfuntions are indicated on the ECU via blinking light codes.

And if you're worried about parts, pick up a spare TB and a few related sensors and carry them along (I do that on long trips, although I've never needed tham). Via a pull it yourself JY it shouldn't cost more than about $50 for the spares.

do you mean the 32/36 weber carb

Dead reliable and ability for virtually any mechanic along the way to fix it would be a Weber Carburator. Simple, efficient, and lotsa parts availability.

2nd would be SPFI though, and not a great distance behind. Mileage will be better, and of all the late 80's subarus they are the most common. They will also self diagnose many of their own problems and tell you in morse code which is nice. Bring a spare fuel filter and it should be great.

The stock hitachi I wouldnt rebuild, not when you can get a weber for 300.

292K is impressive to me

Its a very simple and reliable system. In 292K on my 3-door (did replace the engine underneath it at 262K though) and 165k on my wagon, I've had essentially zero problems with the SPFI.

And - since I see you're in Michigan - no cold starting issues.

Like previously stated, (much) better gas milage and any sensor malfuntions are indicated on the ECU via blinking light codes.

And if you're worried about parts, pick up a spare TB and a few related sensors and carry them along (I do that on long trips, although I've never needed tham). Via a pull it yourself JY it shouldn't cost more than about $50 for the spares.

spfi needs a good angle :) The carbs could go vertical :-\ (I swore it would be the opposite)

I have started in frigid cold very good-- the hitachi I used to run was more efficient, friendly. The serious problem I have encountered with spfi , -- the coolant going through the bottom of unit can crack it in an overheat(before anything else, the unit became a target).The other is the ECU-- I have burnt a resistor tinkering under the hood with the key on..You can't do much with the maf in demand, to change intake boot dramatically, and if you have any system electrical anomolies, the spfi is real finicky.Everything has to be just right. I'd go carb any day. ECU setups and the chips are getting old and petrified and slower than new, and the carb gives more cfm (if your engine is cammed etc) . I guess I could say SPFI sucks :lol: regardless of the bumpy reliable ride it gave since new.

It is:)

I wish. I went to get another unit and the price was incredible. I got my car for free....Constant sense of vacuum leak when just started. I have to wait and wait and wait or I get a coughing hesitation. Mine is errored apparently. The 17 (thats just when i gave it away for free) year old error free carb was well thought genius.Problems and complaints are thoughts not matching thier integrity. I never had to do anything and pushed a wagon up over 50mpg vs the 2wd sedan now with less at all ranges and no power increase.-25 F was an epiphany to me when it came to benefits of man made math and nature starting the car.

Climbing pit walls with a 87 dl carb had no problems next to my friends 89 burping spfi--they both did exactly the opposite of the supposed reasons otherwise, climbing steep banks.strange outcome.Maybe the bigger barrels surged it up over while spfi pretends to be more precise on a smaller one? and my true frustration is this.... 1 nanosecond and a resistor having a bad moment (less than perfect in other words):-\