Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sudden rise in engine temp when in boost.

I've got a slightly modafied GL-10 4wd turbo (stock turbo stock EA82) I've noticed when I get into boost, pretty much when I'm going full throttle, my tempature goes up 1 or 2 bars in a matter of seconds. I do have the digital cluster so thats what I mean by 1 or 2 bars. I've never had a water cooled turbo so I don't know if this is normal. I changed my coolant, but could this be a sign that my water pump or radiator is going to need replacing sometime soon ?

get an aftermarket gauge, mine had a tendency to trip out also, most digidash cars do. theres alot of gauges you can throw in there. I used an equus temp gauge which is available at wal-mart and has the correct adaptor in the package. with your cooling system in ship shape condition there should be very little change under boost conditions atleast not for a few minutes or more..

rllywgn

Probably... or maybe its just a reaction from the increase in intake temps. Do you have an intercooler on your setup?

-Brian

Yep I do have an intercooler.

get an aftermarket gauge, mine had a tendency to trip out also, most digidash cars do. theres alot of gauges you can throw in there. I used an equus temp gauge which is available at wal-mart and has the correct adaptor in the package. with your cooling system in ship shape condition there should be very little change under boost conditions atleast not for a few minutes or more..

rllywgn

it only happens like right as I hit the boost like when the "turbo" light is on after a few seconds the temp drops right down.

I'm thinking it's a grounding issue. My gauge would spike into the red right after I turned the blower motor (for the heater) on. Someone told me it was a bad ground, so I ran some grounds from the engine to the body in a couple spots and a beefier ground from battery to engine. It worked.

Justin.