Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I am having quite a challenge trying to figure out why my Outback idles between 250 and 400RPM all the time, it's quite close to stall speed and has a habit of hesitating on start ( however this issue may be due to my rear calipers which are very tired and tend to stick ).

I had the air intake checked out and cleaned, my computer has no codes ( and has had none since I have had the car ).

This is my fourth subaru and my first one to tick me off, I never should have parted with my trusted old 92 Legacy L FWD or my 93 Legacy Turbo.

Also is there a way to lock the differential?, this is the only subaru where I have spun out on corners in winter driving since the rear wheel differential only activates after about 2 seconds...2 seconds too late because I span out. Hope the new ones are better if not I will part off my Outback for an older 94 Legacy.

There are also some strange electircal issues such as door locks that work one day and not the next, this goes the same for the remote.

Does anyone have an idea where the problem lies for my idle problem or any others in that matter?

Thanks for your kind attention

How many miles does it have?

I had a similar problem with my 98 Legacy GT at about 100K miles, althought not as bad as you describe.

There is procedure for cleaning the idle bypass that involves spraying a can of throttle body cleaner down the idle intake hose. The car will run rough and smoke while the cleaner is burned off. The hose is located on the bottom of the air itake pipe the runs from the airflow sensor to the airbox that should be an intercooler, but isn't. I also adjusted the idle control solenoid a bit, but that was more due to my impatients waiting for the cleaner to go through, then to correct the problem. It has been fine for 50K miles since then.

I can scan the pages for the shop manual if that would help.

Rob

Hi,

I am having quite a challenge trying to figure out why my Outback idles between 250 and 400RPM all the time, it's quite close to stall speed and has a habit of hesitating on start ( however this issue may be due to my rear calipers which are very tired and tend to stick ).

I had the air intake checked out and cleaned, my computer has no codes ( and has had none since I have had the car ).

This is my fourth subaru and my first one to tick me off, I never should have parted with my trusted old 92 Legacy L FWD or my 93 Legacy Turbo.

Also is there a way to lock the differential?, this is the only subaru where I have spun out on corners in winter driving since the rear wheel differential only activates after about 2 seconds...2 seconds too late because I span out. Hope the new ones are better if not I will part off my Outback for an older 94 Legacy.

There are also some strange electircal issues such as door locks that work one day and not the next, this goes the same for the remote.

Does anyone have an idea where the problem lies for my idle problem or any others in that matter?

We have a '98 OB LTD and also experienced the slow idle and hesitation on initial acceleration from a stop. I removed the throttle body from the intake and thoroughly sprayed all the passages and the throttle plate with a can of carburetor cleaner, then blew it out with low-pressure compressed air. I think I've read on this board that someone had a concern about damaging the throttle body by using carb cleaner spray, but it worked well for me. By the way, consider obtaining a new throttle body-to-intake gasket before you do this in case the original gasket tears when you remove the throttle body. Tearing the original gasket is unlikely because it's coated with a teflon-like material, but I didn't want to take that chance. There is also a "minimum idle speed" screw on the throttle body---normally you're not supposed to tamper with it, but it is adjustable. Of course I adjusted it. Now, the idle on our car is exactly right again.

Hi,

Are you reading your rpm with an external tach? I can't read below 500 rpm om my tach. Its starts at zero but goes right to 500. I thought I had a low idle, it was actually right at 700 rpm where it was supposed to be.

My 97OB had a similar erratic idle. I replaced the front O2 sensor to fix. There were no codes. I suspected the O2 as I'd bought some cheapies off ebay a few months earlier.

No help here on the electrical gremlins or the differential.