Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 block... how to split the case?

Okies... I threw a rod coming up I-90 on Sunset hill the other day. Got the engine pulled out, everything torn off it, except, I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to split the case to get the cam/cranks out. The block is shot, a piece of rod was sticking out under the carb, so I don't care how I get it apart, but I need that rotating assy if it's still good. I've tried dropping it off my roof onto a splitting wedge, beating it to death (and myself) with a 10-pound sledge, I've tried every way of beating it apart, and it's still tight. Only problems I can see is that the cam gears are still on there, and theres a little bracket piece that spans the cam and bolts into each half. I've got every last other bolt torn off, except for the crank pulley, because I don't have a socket large enough to get it off. Any ideas? My redneck ways aren't having an effect, so maybe one of you civilized folk have a better idea. My next move is to bust out the oxy cutter, and I don't think the landlord would be too pleased with that. Thanks in advance, I'll check back in a few days.

You have probably missed the bolts inside the push-rod section below the clylinders.

You also have to remove the piston wrist pins through the 4 acess holes on the sides of the block.

If you threw a rod tho - why are you bothing? The whole engine is contaminated with chewed up bearing material and it's not as if EA81 crank's are rare....

GD

Well... the primary reason for tearing this one down is A) to determine exactly what happened, and B) to get a feel for how it all comes apart and whatnot... I plan on rebuilding the new(er) block, and doing a few things to it to snag a bit more power out of it, and I don't want to fubar the new one. so whats this about the wrist pins via access holes? Love to know. Thanks.

PS: I did get the bolts from the pushrod section. I've gone over that thing with a fine tooth comb, dish soap, and a hose... can't see any more bolts to save my life.

Chris

Did you take the bell housing off?

(Which smiley is the smartassed one?)

To pull the wrist pins, pull the water pump off, and behind that is a large plug with a 10 or 12mm allen hole in it, take that out, with that piston at BDC you can see the pin. Pop the snap ring out, and use a slide hammer to drag the pin out. You'll see the same style plug on the other side, and with the bell housing off, you'll see two more. Not too bad, but those pins like to stick.