Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another "Car wont start" thread.

So I know that these are probably posted alot, but this one seems different than the ones I pulled in the searches.

I'm trying to help my mom out here with her 94 Legacy Wagon. So shes driving down the road today and the radio starts fading in and out, shutting off and on...shortly after, the guagues started to die with the dieing of the radio. So the electronics died out, but the car still ran. She says that the "oil light" came on.

So she asks me to check it out and I go to start it back up, and I have no start...I can hear what sounds like the starter click one time when I turn the key, but engine no turney over. It doesnt even try to crank, theres no "vwiirrr vwrir vwrirrr" sound, just that tick. I also get headlights, radio, power windows, etc working....to an extent. Headlights come on, radio comes on, but windsheild wipers go reaaaalllyyyy slow and windows go up and down reaaaalllyy slow. So I went to the battery, tested the voltage and it put out a solid 12 volts when the car was off, and 11.0-11.5 when the key was set to "accel".

So, question is, where do I start? Any insight would help. I dont think it is the starter since the car started doing this while it was running.

So I know that these are probably posted alot, but this one seems different than the ones I pulled in the searches.

I'm trying to help my mom out here with her 94 Legacy Wagon. So shes driving down the road today and the radio starts fading in and out, shutting off and on...shortly after, the guagues started to die with the dieing of the radio. So the electronics died out, but the car still ran. She says that the "oil light" came on.

So she asks me to check it out and I go to start it back up, and I have no start...I can hear the starter clicking, but engine no turney over. It doesnt even sound like it's cranking, theres no "vwiirrr vwrir vwrirrr" sound, just that ticking. I also get headlights, radio, power windows, etc working fine, just no start. So I went to the battery, tested the voltage and it put out a solid 12 volts when the car was off, and 11.0-11.5 when the key was set to "accel".

So, question is, where do I start? Any insight would help.

Jump start the car (thank GOD this one is simple). i bet your altenator is dead. It sounds like mom was driving off the battery for a while and didnt know it. The battery will build up a charge again if it is allowed to sit. She didnt totally kill the battery, hence why you have some juice.

Jump start the car then check the voltage.

nipper

Jump start the car (thank GOD this one is simple). i bet your altenator is dead. It sounds like mom was driving off the battery for a while and didnt know it. The battery will build up a charge again if it is allowed to sit. She didnt totally kill the battery, hence why you have some juice.

Jump start the car then check the voltage.

nipper

Well, jumpers werent available, and I figured the battery was fine since it had a charge that was more than enough to start the car.

Well, jumpers werent available, and I figured the battery was fine since it had a charge that was more than enough to start the car.

takes voltage and amperage to start the car. You have the voltage, you may even have 20-30 amps in the battery, but not the few 100 it takes to start the car.

nipper