Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cams, Rocker Arms, Lifters, oh my!

Yoyo everyone...haven't posted in a while.

1800 GL, 4WD, EA82, etc, etc:burnout:

http://myspace.com/chalkattack

ANYWAY! Couple questions:

--Where can I find new rocker arms? (1stsubaruparts.com is only place I've found, so far, and they're $55 EACH!)

--If using Old rockers: MUST be in order! New rockers: okay on old cam?

--Old rockers okay on old (out of order) lifters? Or should I just get new lifters?

--Why would someone ditch an excellent condition, <100k Loyale in a Junk yard just because it was "smoking too much!?" (and all they needed to do was remove the valve cover to see that shattered rocker!?) PEOPLE THESE DAYS!---the era of disposable vehicles mentality, I tell ya.

--Recommended maintenance to 4wd tranny with poor synchros (oh like that's a surprise! ;) )?

--R12 to 134a switch safe? (compressor and other components can handle it okay?)

240k on the trusty Chalk Attack:banana:...didn't really need a rebuild (NO OIL LEAKS, even!:headbang:) but was replacing the heads (fracture leaking coolant into exhaust---eewww:-\) and figured what the heck? Also am replacing CV axle, heater core, vent foam, headlight, oil/water pumps, tbelts, hoses, clutch, windshield, stereo, clock, etc. YAY for fixing up stuff: happy subie!:clap:

get rebuilt HLA's from mizpah engineering. they're like 5 bucks each.

or you can pull them apart and clean them yourself....i've done it but it's super annoying and takes way too long. i'll never do it again. you can also send them your old ones to rebuild and it's like $4 each.

online parts prices are much better for Subaru OEM parts if you ever do need to go that route.

i'd use the old rocker arms, i've never had problems swapping out HLA's before.

good luck and have fun!

http://myspace.com/chalkattack

I'm afraid I can't help you much with your question, but AWESOME car! What kind of paint did you use on that car?

Rust-inhibitive primer, latex primer, latex chalkboard paint.

Has held up Great, so far! No fading, but the spots where I didn't sand enough to remove all of the previous clearcoat are starting to show as the chalkboard paint has started to come off there. As far as the rest of the car, the paint has held up great! I'm planning on adding chalk trays along the side where the old bumpguard was (to leave chalk when the car is parked) and herculiner the panels underneath the trays (there's just primer there, now).:cool:

If I ever find myself in Utah I'll let you chalk on it! Or, better yet, you can make your own and spread the love of a transient art medium.:D