Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber conversion questions

Hi, a couple of questions from a newbie.

1) Where are the best places to get an adaptor plate & gaskets for a 32/36 weber to EA81 or EA82 manifold. As i'm in the UK & there is'nt anything available over here i would have to have it shipped.

2) I've read on various posts that the EA82 inlet manifold is better than the EA81 one, is it worth changing or does it not make that much difference ( i have one in my shed).

Yes! the EA82 flows way Better than the EA81 Does, and you only need to do minor adjustments to it to fit the EA81 Engine.

I did obtained the K731 Kit, that includes the Weber 32/36 DEGV (it means Electric Choke) along with the two plate Adaptor to put in to the EA82 Intake Manyfold... (for the EA81 the Kit is the K730, that uses a single plate Adaptor... ) and the nice chromed Air Filter Box, the Washable / Cleanable Element, all the Nuts, Bolts... Etc... in one Package, with Illustrated Instruction, in this Website:

Also, I need to say that I live in Honduras, Central America; They sent that K731 Kit for me here, so I believe that there should be No Problems to send that to you tu the U.K. ... I just called by Phone, and a Guy Called Issac did sent it to me... (After I Pay for it, of course :) ) ...He is So Kind, maybe he can Help you.

Finally, I suggest you to see this Thread:

Here I explain how to do the Hoses connection, and How to make the li´l drill work need to be done in the EA82 Intake Manyfold, before you install that Kit.

So, Welcome and Good Luck! :)

Great pics TomRhere to see what needs to be done, although some are a bit small for me to read.

You mention that the adaptor plates are'nt that good, something that seems to be echoed throughout a few posts.

Are there any better ones available ?

Cheers Dom.

You mention that the adaptor plates are'nt that good, something that seems to be echoed throughout a few posts.

Are there any better ones available?

My experience with the EA82 2-piece adaptor plate was that it worked fine, but I had to go the the hardware store to get screws that worked with it. Some of the screws they included with the adaptor plate kit weren't appropriate. This was about five years ago though, FWIW.

Yeah, they send the wrong bolts, (to long), in the kit. But a trip to your local hardware store takes care of that issue.

I didn't like the "stepped" look and feel of how the adapter pieces fit the manifold, so I used a grinding stone to "blend" the port opening in the adapter and manifold. Don't want to remove to much from the front of the manifold port, or "you'll hit water" as they say. Gotta be mindfull of the water passage there.