Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: Sticking Emergency Brake-- '88 GL

For the second time, I've experienced the smell of hot brakes while driving my 1988 GL wagon. I get out, reach behind the front passenger wheel and physically pull the emergency brake lever towards the rear---and all is well.

At home I removed the wheel and emergency brake cable. Then I squirted some aerosol white lithium grease under the thin rubber coverings that surround the brake lever---and worked the lever back and forth until it seemed loose enough to pull back on the cable when the emergency brake handle is released.

Two months later---same thing happens again!

I'm a bit reluctant to remove the rubber coverings---fearing that I'd tear them up. I figure the inside needs a real good cleaning----and I'd like to actually have a look at the spring that is supposed to retract that lever on the rear of the caliper.

I live in a very mountainous area and MUST have the use of the emergency brake.

Any thoughts?

lube the emergency brake mechanism with fresh grease. spraying it may have temporarily loosened it up but probably washed away whatever old nasty grease was in there to begin with. i'd regrease the e-brake mechanism. if that doesn't work, replace with a used caliper or rebuild your old one.

XT6 has front emergency brakes and the only tool i've needed is the standard caliper "block" that attaches to a socket they sell for $3 at the auto parts store. is this tool set you speak of the one that compresses and turns the piston into the bore? if so, they are junk. i and others at http://www.xt6.net have used them and broken them right out of the box. i guess they only work if the caliper piston turns very easily which i have never been so lucky to have happen!

Thank you. I think I will try to carefully remove the rubber coverings and give the whole emergency brake lever a good cleaning and greasing. If that fails, I have a used caliper available on my "junk car"---it's just amazing how many parts I've pulled off of that junker to keep two others on the road.

The rubbers are 18 years old now--and probably a bit brittle. Before messing with them, I will soak them with glycerine.

On a Mercedes board, someone recommended buying a $3 bottle of glycerine from a drug store, diluting it with water and using it on rubber parts like weather seals to keep them supple.

Druggist: "Hey bud... you want some suppositories to go with that glycerine?" :eek:

I've been using that glycerine solution on door seals for a couple years. It really revitalizes hardened rubber. I would never use it on things like tires and water hoses though.

I've never lost a Subaru to mechanical problems... it's always advanced rust that puts an end to them.