Ultimate Subaru Message Board

my 2000 legacy makes squeky noise when i make turns at any speed above 20mph. could it be wheel bearings are there wheel bearings or hub bearings?

can be a few things. There is some flex at the bearings at turns (very little). What you can be hearing is

a- backing plate rubbing against the rotor

b- loose brake pad

c- Brake pad on the verge of having the wear indicator contact the rotor.

d- Loose plastic wheel well rubbing against the tire

Do you feel anything in the steering wheel or the brake pedal?

Is there any clicking in the front end on turns

Can it be the tires are under inflated or out of alignment?

nipper

I checked the backing plate, cleaned the brakes and lubed the pins and areas of the pads and shim. when I straighten out the wheel(while driving) the noise goes away. when I go into a turn I hear a sqeeking and feel vibration and scraping noise. Its drivin me nuts. I hate to But I think I might take it to the dealer. Thanks for the feed back . ed

ahhh so NOW you say hou feel it.

Is it in the front or rear, how many miles. Did you shake the tire while it was jacked up and check for play?

nipper

I hear and feel it in the front. 96000 miles I did shake the tire while up and feel a little play. Maybe 1/4 inch.

I hear and feel it in the front. 96000 miles I did shake the tire while up and feel a little play. Maybe 1/4 inch.

1/4 inch is A LOT of play. you just answered your own question

wheel bearing

nipper

Sometimes you can clean and grease those pins and they still wont slide in and out easy. If one of them is not sliding they will make a noise when turning and stop making noise when the wheel is straight again. Check and make sure they move in and out easy.

I checked the backing plate, cleaned the brakes and lubed the pins and areas of the pads and shim. when I straighten out the wheel(while driving) the noise goes away. when I go into a turn I hear a sqeeking and feel vibration and scraping noise. Its drivin me nuts. I hate to But I think I might take it to the dealer. Thanks for the feed back . ed