Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Today I had to use the wipers and noticed a slight hesitation to the wipers when they start from the normal resting position. This issue was only noticible when using the wipers on intermittent. What is happening is that after the wiper returns to the normal stop position, waits for a few moments, then begins to start; there is a noticible hesitation to the wipers getting started. This does not happen all of the time but often enough to be noticible. For comparison I switched the operation to non intermittent operation and the wipers operated normally - without any notible hesition. I do not believe that the wiper arms have come loose as both arms act together and both arms hesitate together. (I will check to make certain that the arms are tight when I get a break in the rain.) When the wipers hesitate it is only for a fraction of a second but enough to notice it and state that it is not normal. The wipers do make a normal sweep through their full range when this hesitation occurs which tells me that the hesitation must extend back the linkage and may be motor related.

Any ideas? Could this be isolated to an issue in the intermittent circuit or is likely to the first signs that the motor is weakening? Thanks for any ideas.

Steve

If as you say, the wipers operate normally without hesitation when in the normal mode, slow or fast, yet hesitate somewhat in the intermittent mode, I would guess that your wipers and the motor are fine. The fault seems to lie in the circuitry for the intermittent portion of its programming. If the hesitancy fault was in the wiper arms or motor, it makes sense that the hesitancy would be there in all modes. I really think that you don't have anything to worry about. It may just be a quirk in that one mode that doesn't amount to much. I mean that it is supposed to give a timed swipeing of the windshield, and pause in between swipes. Keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse to the point that you fear the system may let you down, then a change in the intermittent wiper module may be necessary. Good Luck!

Get under the cowling and clean off the old (stiffening) grease. Lube up with fresh grease.

I'll bet that'll make a big improvement :)

I do not know if it will help but it cannot hurt. I will have to wait for the rain to end. I think its been around 4 or 5 days since I last saw the sun.

Steve

If as you say, the wipers operate normally without hesitation when in the normal mode, slow or fast, yet hesitate somewhat in the intermittent mode, I would guess that your wipers and the motor are fine. The fault seems to lie in the circuitry for the intermittent portion of its programming. If the hesitancy fault was in the wiper arms or motor, it makes sense that the hesitancy would be there in all modes. I really think that you don't have anything to worry about. It may just be a quirk in that one mode that doesn't amount to much. I mean that it is supposed to give a timed swipeing of the windshield, and pause in between swipes. Keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse to the point that you fear the system may let you down, then a change in the intermittent wiper module may be necessary. Good Luck!

The wipers do work fine in normal and fast mode. Its only acting up on intermittent. What happens is the wipers park. Then a few moments later as they begin a sweep, the wipers hesitate just after they begin the sweep. It's almost like the electrical power is cut for a very small fraction of a second. It does not happen on every sweep but if you averaged it out my guess would be that this hesitation occurs around once every 8 to 10 sweeps. Also, this just began. I would have noticed this if it happened previously.

Steve

• 1 month later...
I have a 92 Gl wagon, my wipers are playin up to, when i turn em off, they dont park, they stop in the tracks? wiring?

The problem may be due to a wiring problem but the best suspect is the park swtich in the motor is open. This keeps power to the motor even when the ON switch is turned to off. Then the switch opens when the wipers reach the bottom and stop the motor.