Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for parking brake button for '97 Outback

Hi,

The button on the parking brake lever of our '97 Outback popped off awhile ago, but my wife didn't tell me about it until this past week.

I found a workaround for the problem using a "wirenut":

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.subaru/msg/ccb44a7086cf075b

and, I just tried it, and it works.

It turns out that there's a small threaded shaft/rod that extends outward when you pull the brake lever up, and I was able to thread a yellow wirenut onto it, so now we can at least use the parking brake (and also release it :)!!), but it seems to me that if I could get the "correct" button part, that it would be easy to more "permanently" fix it, so I was wondering if anyone knew where I might get this part (the button)?

I've been searching on the web but haven't found a source yet. I'll try the local dealers on Monday, but when we took the car in and asked to get it fixed this past week, I was told that the entire ratchet assembly had to be replaced and was quoted $325 for the repair (right!!), so I'm really hoping that I can find a button somewhere.

I posted this on the Subaru newsgroup, and it was suggested to post here.

So, if anyone knows where I might get one of these buttons, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

The award for the most obscure part request goes too ....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

how in heck did that happen? did you look under the seats?

i think any button from any subaru would work

nipper

Looks like it's not extremely rare;

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12635&highlight=parking+brake+release+button

Maybe email Jamie thru http://www.subarugenuineparts.com for a price of a new one?

Hi,

The button on the parking brake lever of our '97 Outback popped off awhile ago, but my wife didn't tell me about it until this past week.

I found a workaround for the problem using a "wirenut":

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.autos.subaru/msg/ccb44a7086cf075b

and, I just tried it, and it works.

It turns out that there's a small threaded shaft/rod that extends outward when you pull the brake lever up, and I was able to thread a yellow wirenut onto it, so now we can at least use the parking brake (and also release it :)!!), but it seems to me that if I could get the "correct" button part, that it would be easy to more "permanently" fix it, so I was wondering if anyone knew where I might get this part (the button)?

I've been searching on the web but haven't found a source yet. I'll try the local dealers on Monday, but when we took the car in and asked to get it fixed this past week, I was told that the entire ratchet assembly had to be replaced and was quoted $325 for the repair (right!!), so I'm really hoping that I can find a button somewhere.

I posted this on the Subaru newsgroup, and it was suggested to post here.

So, if anyone knows where I might get one of these buttons, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Maybe you should just take a black marker to the wirenut and learn to love it.

I dunno

Carl

please double check your pain meds!

lol!

Carl (BTW - I sent then here from usenet for ANSWERS - not drug induced hysteria! hah!)

i can just envision it shooting across the passenger compartment and richocheting, thats all.

After 9pm they get the silly nipper.:banana:

nipper