Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know how the tie rods come loose from the steering gear, not the tie rod ends but the long rod that is under the rubber boot close to the oil pan? I need to replace steering gear and Haynes only says to undo tie rods ends which I know how to do. Does the new steering gear unit come with these long rods already attacted.

Does anyone know how the tie rods come loose from the steering gear, not the tie rod ends but the long rod that is under the rubber boot close to the oil pan? I need to replace steering gear and Haynes only says to undo tie rods ends which I know how to do. Does the new steering gear unit come with these long rods already attacted.

GO to https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html . They have an excellant drawing of it, go to the parts catalog. Its called an inner tie rod end. the outer tie rod is what attaches to the steering knuckle.

nipper

I replaced the hose and the fitting is leaking, it looks like the threads are bad in the gear even through I started it by fingers and thread it about half way in by hand it would never tighten all of the way up. I did take it back out and J.B. welded the threads, at this point I see nothing to lose. It has close to 200,000 miles on it and their is a small amount of seeping around the shaft.

I'm not sure.. but on my old nissan the inside of the 'inner tie-rods' had like a 1inch square section where you could put a combination wrench...

Out of curiosity, why the new steering gear?

Thanks Nipper, I will go there and check that out. After further inspection of my hose I think it was cracks instead of the dog chewing.

GO to https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html . They have an excellant drawing of it, go to the parts catalog. Its called an inner tie rod end. the outer tie rod is what attaches to the steering knuckle.

nipper

The boots look good, do they make a small clamp for that inner part of the boot these are wraped with wire, as are the other ones on my other Subaru. The issue is it is leaking where the hose fitting goes in to gear housing. I was hoping for bad threads on the hose end but the damage is where it screws in the housing. I was very careful, started it by fingers and it never got tight like they do when cross threaded but when it was all of the way in it would never tighten.

dont forget new boots.

the housing part :confused:

Whats your issue

nipper

The boots look good, do they make a small clamp for that inner part of the boot these are wraped with wire, as are the other ones on my other Subaru. The issue is it is leaking where the hose fitting goes in to gear housing. I was hoping for bad threads on the hose end but the damage is where it screws in the housing. I was very careful, started it by fingers and it never got tight like they do when cross threaded but when it was all of the way in it would never tighten.

try tapping the thread. Trust me you dont want to get just an new housing. once you take those seals apart you have to replacethem then the bushings need inspecting, have to work clean it snownballs.

il'd rather see you rebuild your own automaitc tranny then a rack. Screw up a tranny worse thing that happens is car wont go. Screw up a rack and you cant steer.

nipper

Looks like Subaru agrees with you, they dont sell just the housing so I may have to buy the whole system rack and pinon, it looks easy enough to replace that.

try tapping the thread. Trust me you dont want to get just an new housing. once you take those seals apart you have to replacethem then the bushings need inspecting, have to work clean it snownballs.

il'd rather see you rebuild your own automaitc tranny then a rack. Screw up a tranny worse thing that happens is car wont go. Screw up a rack and you cant steer.

nipper